Author Topic: Insurance - anyone else getting daft quotes this year?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Insurance - anyone else getting daft quotes this year?
« Reply #20 on: 16 August 2022, 10:52 »
Need to remember that insurance is more location specific so what I pay in the North East of England will be different to someone in say Cornwall. You can't really compare prices across the country.

Absolutely. I was just querying if anyone had experienced a sudden rise in renewals this year rather than specific amounts quoted. It just seemed odd what I was getting. The link posted by dfm (thanks for doing that) may have a lot to do with it. I'm with Direct Line for my house insurance and my renewal this year was less than half of last year's premium and the lowest I've paid in years, which was nice. Didn't realise they were going to try to claw it all back and then some on car insurance :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 16 August 2022, 10:54 »
I have one of of my policy's with Aviva. One of the things i liked about it was they let you change things online yourself and don't charge you an admin fee to do so.
This has let me change my car over after 6 months to one of my others and also let me add a private plate all without admin fees or painful phonecalls.

I saw that in the details, the free online amendments. That is indeed a good point and something I've previously enjoyed. All the complaints though about Aviva were in regard to dealing with claims. That is my worry.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 16 August 2022, 12:41 »
I was with LV, with no change in my full no claims history, last year they told me before the renewal, they would not be able to quote on my car.

I jumped over to AA insurance for under £200 a year with protected Ncb, thanks LV! :)

Bear in mind that AA insurance use a panel of insurance companies to increase their quotability and customer acquisition rates; if one insurer on the panel won’t quote, then there’s a good chance one or more others will. AA are effectively the intermediary / broker, and it’s the panel insurers who underwrite the insurance risk and handle with the claims rather than AA.

Insurance panel arrangements are fairly commonplace with car insurance - other known insurance brands that use a panels that spring to mind are Lloyds bank, M&S, John Lewis, Saga, Budget, Hastings Direct. There will be others too.

The potential downside of insurance panels is that the claims service of the individual insurance companies on the panel is likely to vary from one insurer to another, although there are probably minimum standards that each insurance company have to meet. Customer reviews may also be a little misleading as customers will be commenting on different insurance companies on the panel.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 16 August 2022, 13:01 »
I was with LV, with no change in my full no claims history, last year they told me before the renewal, they would not be able to quote on my car.

I jumped over to AA insurance for under £200 a year with protected Ncb, thanks LV! :)

Bear in mind that AA insurance use a panel of insurance companies to increase their quotability and customer acquisition rates; if one insurer on the panel won’t quote, then there’s a good chance one or more others will. AA are effectively the intermediary / broker, and it’s the panel insurers who underwrite the insurance risk and handle with the claims rather than AA.

Insurance panel arrangements are fairly commonplace with car insurance - other known insurance brands that use a panels that spring to mind are Lloyds bank, M&S, John Lewis, Saga, Budget, Hastings Direct. There will be others too.

The potential downside of insurance panels is that the claims service of the individual insurance companies on the panel is likely to vary from one insurer to another, although there are probably minimum standards that each insurance company have to meet. Customer reviews may also be a little misleading as customers will be commenting on different insurance companies on the panel.

Sure, it's a minefield out there!

I am not convinced that going with the highest quote neccesarily gurantees the best insurance cover either? :)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 16 August 2022, 13:27 »

I am not convinced that going with the highest quote neccesarily gurantees the best insurance cover either? :)

Absolutely! Most expensive doesn’t necessarily mean the best.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 16 August 2022, 14:32 »

Absolutely! Most expensive doesn’t necessarily mean the best.

Definitely. That's what makes it so difficult.

Thanks to sjw for recommending Brentacre. Just had a good chat with them and I liked the cut of their jib. So you can add cosmetic mods at anytime for no charge. They are enthusiasts so know what you are talking about which really helps and saves misunderstandings. No compulsory excess. Not the cheapest but cheaper than my renewal. I will probably go with them.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 16 August 2022, 15:09 »
Thanks to sjw for recommending Brentacre. Just had a good chat with them and I liked the cut of their jib. So you can add cosmetic mods at anytime for no charge. They are enthusiasts so know what you are talking about which really helps and saves misunderstandings. No compulsory excess. Not the cheapest but cheaper than my renewal. I will probably go with them.

Glad to hear your experience matched mine. I could have renewed cheaper with Admiral this year, but they are a pain in the arse to deal with on the phone. Brentacre, like you say, are enthusiasts and quite enjoy having a chat about your car. Plus, with the exception of once when I phoned them at a lunch time, they've picked up the phone within 5 minutes, so not long on hold at all listening to their campervan message!

Should note as well that they count things like lowering the car etc as cosmetic mods, as far as I can tell. If it doesn't add power, it's free to add to your policy. And in the event of a claim they will replace the mods like-for-like, rather than other companies which will give you the standard part or try and use the mods to get out of paying! I know I said this earlier in the thread but thought I'd reiterate. The like-for-like policy is the reason they give for being slightly more expensive than some of the larger brands, but by more expensive, I'm talking <£50 in my experience. That is good enough for me to know that any mods I make will be covered.

The only downside to them that I've found (never had to make a claim, so can't comment on that) is that there are some cars that, in my case, they just flat out would not insure me on until I'd had the car at least a year, I think it was. This, I was told, included "high-power RWD cars and anything with a BMW badge". I asked about an M2 Comp and the guy basically implied that it wasn't even worth his time to check in the system, he knew it would come back no.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2022, 09:33 by sjw »

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 17 August 2022, 15:36 »
Use price comparison side, get them to price match the lowest quote or leave. Also cheaper if you do it around 27 days before renewal and the price goes up a bit closer to the date you get

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 19 August 2022, 12:39 »
I'm 60 with a Mk 7.5 GTi, living in W Mids countryside, 20k miles a year.  My fully comp etc quote from LV last year was £510.  This year they quoted £490, which I was pleased with.  I rang them up to ask something (answered after about 2 mins, great) and the girl said she'd see if she could improve the quote - and said it can be all in for £405.  So obviously I renewed and can't be bothered to get alternative quotes, especially as LV rates highly if you need to use them.
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline funboxster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 20 August 2022, 08:38 »
I'm 66, 10+ NCD, live in W Sussex, with a 7.5 TCR, 5K a year mileage.  I use comparison sites every year and back in January I moved to Flow fully comp for £220, inc legal cover.
Pure White MY 2020 GTI TCR 19" Reifnitz with DCC, Pan Roof and Climate Windscreen