Author Topic: Remaps and the standard clutch on GTi manual  (Read 1075 times)

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
Remaps and the standard clutch on GTi manual
« on: 14 August 2022, 10:55 »
My insurance is up for renewal in a couple of weeks, so now would be a good time to get my GTi PP remmaped.

The car has the manual box, has done 40k and as far as I can tell the clutch is in very good condition.

I know they can be a bit of a wek spot, so what are the chances of a stage 1 tune making it fail or slip?

Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
Re: Remaps and the standard clutch on GTi manual
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2022, 12:09 »
My insurance is up for renewal in a couple of weeks, so now would be a good time to get my GTi PP remmaped.

The car has the manual box, has done 40k and as far as I can tell the clutch is in very good condition.

I know they can be a bit of a wek spot, so what are the chances of a stage 1 tune making it fail or slip?

This is not easy to answer as there are many variables. The two most important ones are the map characteristics and secondly your driving style. if it’s a high torque map, the clutch will fail if you drive it hard and even with a low torque map the likelihood of failure is high but a few members are running low torque maps from the likes of Revo without any issue. Alternatively get a custom tune from Unicorn or similar tailored for the standard clutch and then when the clutch eventually fails go back and get a more aggressive map from that tuner.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2022, 12:36 »
I have a Celtic tuning Emotion2+ device left over from my previous BMW, if I buy another map for that it only costs me only £120 for  a map for the Golf.

Sure it is only an off the shelf type map, but i can put it back to stock in a few minutes if needed.

I don't drive particularly hard, but want a bit more power for overtaking etc. That is where I find the Golf a bit lacking compared to my BMW.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2022, 13:19 »

My manual CS40 had a REVO stage 1 installed at two weeks old, now on 32k miles and all still good...
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline JB73

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2022, 20:43 »
I was looking on the mountune website and their stage one tune has torque adjustments to prolong the life of clutches on manual cars. Would be interested to know if anyone has experience of this

Cheers Jason

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2022, 22:00 »
I think that if I go for it I will just stick a few quid in the kitty in case the clutch does fail, then get it replaced with an uprated one.

The insurance for me almost doubles with a remap on the car, but it would be worth it if the improvement is decent. I currently pay £230 per year so not bank breaking.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2022, 13:32 »
Had ours mapped at around 17k and now on 25k, never had a problem with the clutch, its running a Black Code map

MK7 GTi