Author Topic: Purchasing a Mk 7 Golf GTI  (Read 854 times)

Offline Leroy123

• Just got here
Purchasing a Mk 7 Golf GTI
« on: 06 August 2022, 19:45 »
Looking for some advice before I purchase a Golf GTI Mk 7. Manual gearbox, 14, 15 or 16 plate.

7.5 is out of my reach. Private purchases attract me because they are generally cheaper.. but come with more risk? As you generally get a warranty from a dealer. 

Any years to stay away from?

Do they have timing belts or chains? Changing intervals?

Advice on service history?

Do they all come with the interactive centre console which allows you to change driving mode?

Are the engines the same?

Any purchasing help would be appreciated. 

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Purchasing a Mk 7 Golf GTI
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2022, 09:26 »
Cars built from week 22 2015 will gain you the winter pack (heated seats & heated washer jets), the later MIB2 radio head unit and keyless entry (on 5 door cars) all as standard.

The winter pack and keyless were available on earlier cars, but were optional extra.

You will also get 10bhp more, along with bigger brakes and a diff if you go for a Performance Pack model.

All Mk7 GTi's have a timing chain.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2022, 10:02 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2022, 09:47 »
Check to see if it has had the waterpump and thermostat housing replaced. If not, keep about £800 in a kitty as there's a high likelihood you'll be doing that at some point soon. Clutches are another weak point and are expensive to replace.

If you get a Performance Pack model, bear in mind that the diff needs a service every 3 years or 30k miles. In addition to what Guzzle says about the PP differences, the front calipers have the GTI logo on them which looks great!

Tyres for 19" wheels are obviously a fair bit more expesive than the standard 18s and don't ride as well however I've only ever had 19s and think they ride pretty good. Diamond cut alloys on an older car can be an issue as they will likely have needed a refurb at some point and there's a limit as to how many times that can be done.

Keep us posted with your purchase and don't forget some pictures when you get it :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2022, 10:18 »
Make sure that you do a Vcheck on any used GTi. Crashed and repaired ones are quite common and it isn't always flagged up as a right off on a normal HPI check.

Black wheels are a bit of a running joke on some facebook groups, but they are an elegant long term solution to corroding diamond cut wheels, so if they rest of the car checks out and you are happy with the look there really isn't a problem.

The performance pack is worth it just for the upgraded brakes alone. I find that the Diff upgrade gives minimal benefit on the road, and not many people would notice the extra 10bhp. (rumour has it that even the standard cars have much more than the official 220bhp anyway)
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2022, 10:58 »
The mk7 GTI engine has a timing chain rather than a cam belt. The chain is a non-serviceable item so in theory shouldn’t need changing, but it would be prudent to check it / get it checked for stretch on an early mk7 if the mileage is 80k plus.

In addition to the servicing items mentioned by @Guzzle and @Watts, if you did decide on a car with DSG transmission rather than a manual, the DSG should be serviced every 40k miles, brake fluid changes are every two years after the first fluid change, which on VW’s is at three years.

Cars with sunroofs - there have been some instances of the sunroof surround cracking in the area between the front corners of the tilting/sliding panel and the top of the A pillar. Replacement out of warranty is expensive. Check carpets for dampness as the rear door speaker seals on five door models are prone to fail, allowing water ingress into the cabin. Also check the spare wheel well for water, as the grommet on the bottom of the tailgate that holds the hatch release handle drain pipe in place can perish with age, allowing water to drain into the tailgate and then onto the boot floor and into spare wheel well.

If Apple CarPlay / Android Auto is important to you, then you would need to ensure any car you view has CarNet App Connect, or the ability for it to be retro-activated (cost to do this is likely to be around £250-£300). I’m not sure if early cars with MIB1 infotainment units had CarNet App Connect functionality - it was an extra cost option on later (2016) model year cars with MIB2 infotainment units. It can also be retro-activated on 2016 model year cars within App Connect compatible MIB2 infotainment units, but be aware that not all MIB2’s are App Connect compatible.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2022, 11:57 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl