Author Topic: Headlamp crazing  (Read 931 times)

Offline bennybeats

• Just got here
Headlamp crazing
« on: 22 July 2022, 15:39 »
Hello,

This is my first post here. I recently picked up a 63 plate approved used GTI. Really happy with the car however it does have rather bad crazing on the headlamps. The surface from the outside feels okay, it's the lenses which have lots of tiny cracks on the inside.

I don't have any photos of mine but I've attached some photos to show what I mean. I'd say both of mine are worse than this, and with the lamps on you can really see how bad it is.

Would something like this be covered under warranty or has anybody had any luck getting them changed? Alternatively is there anything I can do to have the lenses repaired/replaced?

Thanks.

2013 MK7 GTI 6MT

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: Headlamp crazing
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2022, 15:11 »
Mine on my 2014 is the same, not bothered about it as it appeared when out of warranty it's only visible from the side view and doesn't make any difference to the beam pattern.

Offline tonyg123

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2022, 13:39 »
Not warranty covered no.

What I have done in the past is use some polishing compound on them and either an electric polisher or good ‘old elbow grease and they will come up like new!

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2022, 13:40 »
Polishing will not do anything it is not on the surface sadly.

steve12345

« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2022, 14:51 »
I have the same on my 2014 car, I had it "detailed" last year and he polished it up looked great but over time it came back.

So I suspect polishing is just a tempory solution. However that particular "detail" was done by a pro detailer but it was the most basic detail option he provided so it could be that he only gave it enough attention to provide a short term solution!? I'm not really sure, but I agree with your concerns it looks rubbish, and looks like the issue is internal rather than on the surface.