Author Topic: VAQ Diff not working, Possible?  (Read 6007 times)

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
VAQ Diff not working, Possible?
« on: 25 February 2023, 16:21 »
Hi

I have a strange feeling my VAQ diff isn’t working, or my memory of it in my old Mk7 I have back in 2014-2016 isn’t correct (when I used to do track days in it). 

Scenario 1
If I set individual mode to sport and everything else in normal (on a dry road). I can exit a roundabout with reasonable speed in 3rd gear and get the stability/traction light to flash. My understanding is the stability is intervening and managing the car with traction control etc. so can’t really see if the diff or the systems are controlling the car.

Scenario 2
If I set individual mode to sport and everything else in normal (on a dry road).  Then a long press on the traction button to disable most of the stability system.

I can be in 2nd  possibly
  3rd gear on a dual carriageway on ramp (90deg soft radius curve) and it understeers to the outside of the corner hard accelerating and I have to lift otherwise I will hit the curb on the outside of the corner.  I don’t remember it being like this in my old car which had much more bite and you really noticed it, but on this car its as if its off or disabled.

I have tried someone with VAG.com to see if there are any faults, and we found nothing in the main screen.   With this in mind I’m concerned that if I take it to a dealer while its under warranty they will only plug it in as well.

Any other way to check it, or look at it on vag.com?

BTW it had a diff service on 3 year service which it called it ‘haldex service’ on the paperwork, but I’m assuming the correct oil was put in and not haldex and that's simply the terminology in the service system??

Thanks in advance

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: VAQ Diff not working, Possible?
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2023, 16:40 »
I’m guessing the reference to Haldex Service is a generic naming based on the manufacturer name?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2023, 17:25 »
Yeah that's was my thoughts too, just clutching at straws in case they put the wrong oil in?  But I think it would have been noisy or caused a pump problem if it was wrong oil...

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2023, 17:43 »
Have you run a code reader to see if any faults appear?

I previously bought a 2013 PP with 17k miles, still under a years warranty. The car ran fine, but I was not over impressed with the diff performance, even when I fitted PS4's.
I took the car into VW for a service and examination before the warranty was due to expire.
I didn't have a code reader at the time, but it turns out the circuit board on the pump had packed up 2 weeks before I bought the car.
At the time VW replaced the diff electrical circuit and all was well.

Nothing came up on the dash, but they were able to tell me the date the fault started.

Try to run a fault code reader to see if asnything appears?

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2023, 20:28 »
VAQ diff oil and Haldex rear diff oil are the same oil.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2023, 07:49 »
VAQ diff oil and Haldex rear diff oil are the same oil.

if that's the case it can't be the oil.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 26 February 2023, 07:56 »
Have you run a code reader to see if any faults appear?

I previously bought a 2013 PP with 17k miles, still under a years warranty. The car ran fine, but I was not over impressed with the diff performance, even when I fitted PS4's.
I took the car into VW for a service and examination before the warranty was due to expire.
I didn't have a code reader at the time, but it turns out the circuit board on the pump had packed up 2 weeks before I bought the car.
At the time VW replaced the diff electrical circuit and all was well.

Nothing came up on the dash, but they were able to tell me the date the fault started.

Try to run a fault code reader to see if asnything appears?

Thanks I wonder if mine has the same issue? I'm on PS5 so its not like they are ditch finders

Someone plugged it into vag.com for me not VW, but nothing was obvious.  They cleared some codes, (not related more historic stuff like key fob battery etc).
« Last Edit: 26 February 2023, 08:08 by EB2019 »

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2023, 10:09 »
I wonder if the gauze filter has been cleaned out and the pump relearn carried out??

What happens with the R rear diff is that the filter gets that clogged up with debris the pump fails due to it having to work that much harder to pump fluid.

I must admit my front diff filter was clean compared to the R rear diff I serviced a few weeks earlier.

R rear diff haldex pump Before

R rear diff haldex pump After

2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 February 2023, 10:31 »
Indy I use told me that dealers rarely clean the filters and just change fluid - clearly his opinion and experience but it’s a possible?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 26 February 2023, 12:01 »
its not very old, 19 plate with 17k on the clock.  Dealer sold, dealer serviced and car sold back to dealer before I bought it. I know mileage isn't always a good indicator but i would be surprised if its blocked, but not surprised that dealers wouldn't spend the time cleaning it.

I might talk to the Local VW dealer that will have no idea what i'm talking about and see if I can get them to look at it. 

Can't wait... :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 26 February 2023, 12:06 by EB2019 »