Author Topic: New tyres suggestions?  (Read 120922 times)

Offline Fabio Bignose

• GTI forum regular
Re: New tyres suggestions?
« Reply #440 on: 14 May 2021, 21:04 »
Running p zero  on my gti performance  at the present 19 inch   Only one tyre needs replaced   So probably put Pirelli back on just to keep all the same but fellow who owns the local tyre place I use trying to get me to put the continental s on. Says they are a great tyre

I’ve recently had 4 x continental premium contact 6 fitted and I am very impressed. I had premium contact 5 on previously and the pc 6 are much more refined and handle just as well. They look great when dressed also.  :wink: Highly recommended.
Mk7.5 GTD. DCC, Keyless, Dynaudio, Tech pack, Alarm, Isaac Blue
Mk7 GTD. Xenons, 18", Climate Control, Keyless, Alarm, ( all optional in Ireland...! ) Dynaudio, DCC,
CSG.
Mk6 GTD. Alarm, CSG.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #441 on: 14 May 2021, 21:53 »
Any deals on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 tyres ??  :smiley:

Also is anyone able to tell me if I'm ok just getting 2 for the front wheels and not 4? As the tyres on the back are fine.
New to the tyre game as previous cars were less powerful so I got away with any tyres, and garage I bought car from put cheap 'CatchPower' tyres on my GTi which spin too easily

It's your car and you can do whatever you want with the tyres! :)

However, conventional wisdom for powerful fwd cars is to fit the better tyres on the rear, this aids stability under high speed braking and reduces lift off over steer...
Also, the old tyres on the front are more likely to wear out on fwd, you can then replace with new to match the rears which will show much less wear on them.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #442 on: 14 May 2021, 22:08 »
Well the tyres on the front are CatchPower crap which are a year and 5 months old and only done 2,000 miles. They loose grip too easily under acceleration so don't give me much confidence. The rear haven't been an issue but I doubt they're as good as the F1's I suppose. I can't remember what tyres are on the rear but have a feeling they say 'Rosso' on. Will check tomorrow. Now you're making me contemplate changing all 4 but that's a lot to spend when I'm thinking about spending money elsewhere  :grin:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #443 on: 14 May 2021, 23:25 »
I'd be changing all four if it was me. Why compromise when the tyre is the only thing between you and the road and possibly a ditch or hedge.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline wolly440

• Not said much yet
« Reply #444 on: 15 May 2021, 10:15 »
Well the tyres on the front are CatchPower crap which are a year and 5 months old and only done 2,000 miles. They loose grip too easily under acceleration so don't give me much confidence. The rear haven't been an issue but I doubt they're as good as the F1's I suppose. I can't remember what tyres are on the rear but have a feeling they say 'Rosso' on. Will check tomorrow. Now you're making me contemplate changing all 4 but that's a lot to spend when I'm thinking about spending money elsewhere  :grin:

Catchpower and Rosso are absolute cheap sh1te, I'd be replacing them right away. In fact, if a dealer was selling a car with them on, I'd walk away. Either the previous owner has scrimped maintenance or the dealer has needed replaced them and chose them to keep costs down. Makes you wonder what else have they done or missed out to cut costs.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #445 on: 15 May 2021, 10:59 »
Jesus, as mcmaddy and the post above says really. I bet it's awful to drive with them on.

Ironic that they're called catchpower but just spin 😂

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #446 on: 15 May 2021, 11:32 »
I read it as "cat power".... like this:

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #447 on: 15 May 2021, 14:12 »
I bought my GTi used and it came with a full, new set of the sort of budget tyres mentioned here... I had no confidence in it, you couldn't use the power in a straight line let alone carry speed through corners, or maintain a consistent high(ish) speed with confidence. I learned most of that on the way home from picking it up. In some moments I wondered if the car had a fault, but convinced myself it was the tyres.

Within 24-hours it was in Costco having PS4's fitted and it suddenly felt exactly how I expected it to. Money very, very well spent. FWIW, two years and just over 20k miles later, the same tyres are still fitted with plenty of life left.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #448 on: 15 May 2021, 14:43 »
Thanks :grin: now my spend has just doubled. Going to get Eagle F1's all round

But on a serious note, thanks everyone for the feedback. I did see Costco had a deal on a set of 4 F1 tyres a few months back but it might now be still on. On a positive note, if Costco is a good price I can get a Trade Membership for Costco for around £25 for a year I think

Anyone know of any other deals ??

Current tyre size are 225/40ZR18
« Last Edit: 15 May 2021, 14:45 by Lordie »

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #449 on: 15 May 2021, 16:05 »
So my current tyres say on them: 225/40ZR18

Can someone please confirm that these are 100% the ones I need. I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to buying tyre so trying to learn and don't want to mess up ordering :grin:
https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/goodyear/eagle-f1-asymmetric-5/225/40/R18/Y/92/f?tyre=38601674

Price works out at - £259.76
(£71.19 x 4 - £25 with voucher for buying 4)