Author Topic: New to VW, Golfs and GTis  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Ian.H

• Just got here
New to VW, Golfs and GTis
« on: 11 June 2022, 23:07 »
Hi all..

After 9 months of hell with 2 previous motors, I picked up a CS 40. Bit strange being back in FWD (last FWD I owned was a 2010 MK2 Focus RS) and trying to get used to the sound of a 4-pot again... but so far, it seems like a fun nippy lil car :D

There's a few minor scuffs on the roof where someone decided to slide something on it, but not deep enough to feel with a finger nail, so the Rupes should remove those just fine, other than that, seems quite clean, though will give it a full detail ASAP. Will be going down a Revo Stage 1 path shortly with maybe a Scorpion exhaust with sports cat.

Cheers..

Ian

Offline Pete-r36

• Not said much yet
Re: New to VW, Golfs and GTis
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2022, 09:46 »
FANTASTIC looking car!

Congrats.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2022, 10:29 »
FANTASTIC looking car!

Congrats.

+1 to that! DSG or manual?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2022, 13:14 »
Nice. Do like a white Clubsport.  :smiley:

What number is it??
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2022, 22:22 »
Welcome Ian  :smiley:
An Ed40 isn’t a bad introduction to Golf ownership.

I had a white with black roof example myself

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Ian.H

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2022, 08:47 »
Thanks for the welcome lads  :smiley:

For more detail.. it's a 2017 plate DSG.. as much as I loved the manual box in my 911, I've opted back into the paddles for this one.

The plate number is 721.

I like the "crispness" of the black and white. My 2013 E63S estate was white with black roof and looked pretty good too (though that was metallic white).

I need to get a DSG remap though as it feels "lazy", even in manual mode (are they single or dual clutch?).. maybe spoiled with the Merc box being so brutal, but hoping I can make it feel a bit more responsive.

Definitely pleasantly surprised though.. we had the E63 for ~3.5 years and had 577bhp as standard with something like 591lbft torque... the GTi obviously isn't that, but it's certainly no slouch and will certainly result in being more "fun" as it has usable power.

My better half had a 2014 Golf TSi from new which was generally a really nice motor (her ol' man has it now since ~2016) and it was that that kind of made me go towards this path. I had considered a GTi PP to begin with and then decided the ED40 would be a nice touch, so here I am.. and happy  :grin:

Cheers..

Ian
« Last Edit: 13 June 2022, 09:06 by Ian.H »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2022, 15:20 »
This company has come up a few times for DSG software, I haven't tried them myself - https://tvsengineering.com/en/dsg-gearbox/

They do a driveability tune which sounds interesting.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Pandemonium

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2022, 15:45 »
Beautiful car mate! Sounds like you've had quite a few fast motors...

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2022, 23:27 »
A DSG map would be a good idea, it’ll increase clamping force as well as improved drivability which would be useful if you’re remapping the ECU.

Before getting a TCU tune (DSG) maybe look into getting a device called a Pedal Box from DTUK or there are similar units sold via Burger Motorsport and DTE I think, plus one or two other companies.
Half of the laziness issues of mk7 Golfs are caused by the fact there is an inch or so of dead travel in the accelerator pedal, which means when you’re not driving at 8/10ths or above you’re losing the crispness of engine response and the gearbox thinks you just want to amble along in a lazy style. The Pedal Box brings the sharpness back to normal driving that the factory settings have programmed out for some odd reason. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner