Author Topic: Mid-life Crisis............maybe  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
Mid-life Crisis............maybe
« on: 05 April 2022, 10:20 »
Hi all,

Last year after retiring from my job (just that job, i'm not quite at retirement age just yet!) i treated myself to a Tiguan R-Line as a leaving present. I thought at the time it was the perfect car for me but as time went on i felt that something was missing, the fun part of driving, it was just a little bit too sensible. Last week i took a GTI PP and a TCR out for a test drive and it made me realise what i'd been missing out on. Both were excellent cars to drive but the TCR just had something more about it. I had a mk4 1.8T years ago and i've always maintained it's the most fun i've had in a car but after collecting a few points i thought i'd better change my driving habits lol. Now that i'm a little bit older and wiser i thought it would be safe to go back to having fun again in a GTI.
I'm also attending my first ever car show in June, not to show or anything but for the experience.

Glad to be onboard and i look forward to catching up with you all along the way  :wink: Once i can work out how to upload pics i'll get some up!
A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2001 mk4 TDI - died at some traffic lights due to someone not stopping!
2000 mk4 GTD - a dog of a car, sold to WBAC in limp mode!
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!
2020 mk7.5 Tornado Red TCR - current ride.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Mid-life Crisis............maybe
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2022, 15:02 »
Welcome Markee  :smiley:

Nothing wrong with a midlife crisis car - it could be a lot worse!

I had a TCR myself, fabulous cars, I think they look amazing and drive superbly too.

What colour and spec is yours Markee?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2022, 16:41 »
Welcome to the TCR club Markee!

I swapped from a PP to a TCR. Nothing wrong with the PP, loved it, but the TCR looks a bit more aggressive, better interior and the engine is great!

To upload pictures, you need to use a hosting site. I and many others use postimg.org. Upload your picture, copy the 'hotlink for forums' code and paste that into your post. Easy!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2022, 19:18 »
Fingers crossed i've got this right:

Just so the missus and her GTD don't feel left out  :grin:

Spec-wise she's totally standard, the Akrapovic exhaust gives a nice rumble with discreet pops without sounding like gunshots going off (nowt wrong with that as in my younger days i always had loud exhausts, but i'm no longer in my younger days lol). I have no plans for any mods at the moment, i may look at some carbon mirror covers and a TCR logo on the bottom right of the boot lid but at the moment i'm just enjoying driving again  :smiley:
A chequered previous car history (mainly blue oval, sorry) prior to owning Golf's.
2000 mk4 1.8T - most fun i've had in a Golf (until now) but nearly cost me my licence!

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2022, 19:23 »
I have no plans for any mods at the moment, i may look at some carbon mirror covers and a TCR logo on the bottom right of the boot lid but at the moment i'm just enjoying driving again  :smiley:

And maybe a GolfGTI sticker  :wink:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2022, 21:12 »
A nice touch is an Audi 12v socket plug, only around a fiver but they are very smart compared with the VW part.

Also worth considering is a pedalbox. The throttle pedal has a certain amount of dead travel which a pedalbox removes. It makes the pedal far more responsive so you don't have to have a heavy foot, just a light touch is enough. Not for everyone but well worth considering. It makes the car so much more responsive and lively.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Markee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2022, 22:23 »
A nice touch is an Audi 12v socket plug, only around a fiver but they are very smart compared with the VW part.

Also worth considering is a pedalbox. The throttle pedal has a certain amount of dead travel which a pedalbox removes. It makes the pedal far more responsive so you don't have to have a heavy foot, just a light touch is enough. Not for everyone but well worth considering. It makes the car so much more responsive and lively.

I was quite surprised when i bought it that there was a cigarette lighter in there, i didn't think that was a thing any more in modern cars. Agreed the Audi one looks better.

I'd seen pedalbox mentioned a few times looking through some of the threads and i'll be honest, hadn't got a clue what it was lol. At the moment as the car is new to me everything is responsive and lively, that may change further down the line as i get used to it.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2022, 22:39 »
As I said it's not for everyone, some don't see the benefit. Personally, I hate driving mine with it switched off. It makes it feel like an old school car with instant response. The standard pedal just feels lifeless in comparison.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2022, 05:47 »
What a lovely looking TCR. It’s really good to see the his’n’hers Golfs too!  :cool:

Watts’ suggestions are well worth considering Markee, the Audi 12v socket cover looks loads better than the standard issue one and a PedalBox will really bring the car alive and feel lighter on its feet without having to resort to boy racer tactics.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Dazie00

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2022, 20:32 »
Great looking TCR, glad your happy back in a GTI  :grin:
Pedal box is great IMO
GTI PP, Leather, Pan roof, Rev Camera, Keyless , MIB2

Gone but not forgotten
GTI 5 Man
R 7 DSG stage 1