Author Topic: Cancelling  (Read 11732 times)

Ricepop

Re: Cancelling
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2013, 11:19 »
The car is at the port and quote:"may get on a boat on the 24th but not before"

There is nothing they can do to hurry it along apparently.

If I'm honest I couldn't give a crap about who wins or loses, its not a battle to me its just stress.

I cant remember how I felt when I ordered the car, its been so long.

I have looked at all the brochures and reviews over and over, I've been for test drives (I went yesterday) and spoken to the dealer.

I was far more taken with the Mk 5 GTI I drove. once the excitement of having a new car wears off (and it did months ago) you start to consider costs and things.

In 3 years time the Mk 7 will have no money left in it but I will be forced to replace it, whereas the Mk5 will probably have £7K left in it. As I said you don't worry too much when you are excited about getting a brand new car but when you have the time to think about it you start having your doubts.

I saw a Mk 7 GTI on the road for the first time last week in some crap grey, it didn't Inspire me.

Also VW have given me a 1.2 Polo to run around in, I actually think it drives better than the golf (a little down on power though).
You feel really connected to the road and it responds much better. I don't believe for a second it is quicker or handles better but it is more fun.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2013, 11:32 »
At the end of the day the decision is obviously yours and only you know exactly how you are feeling about it.
But to others looking in, it looks like you've ran a marathon and with 100yards to go thought, "Feck it, I can't be bothered any more" and wonder off in the other direction.

Like you say, after the excitement of buying it weans off you do start to think about costs and other things. Sounds like the length of time you've had to wait has been just too much. It reminds me of the saying "idle hands make the devil's work"  :evil:

Good luck on whatever way you go. Both great cars.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2013, 11:33 »
cant see any mark 5 being worth 7k in 3years  :whistle: i might be wrong though

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 07 October 2013, 11:37 »

A Pirelli might. Is is a Pirelli?

I can see what he's saying tho'. If he buys a used car, it will still be worth something. If he gets a new car on a PCP, after 3 years what will he have?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 07 October 2013, 11:42 »

A Pirelli might. Is is a Pirelli?

I can see what he's saying tho'. If he buys a used car, it will still be worth something. If he gets a new car on a PCP, after 3 years what will he have?
but mk5 gtis can be bought for as little as 4k now ok the pirelli and edition 30 will hold there value a little better but not by much unless its low miles and mint  :whistle:

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #15 on: 07 October 2013, 14:44 »
The problem is that I am bored of the car already and I don't even have it. I am not looking forward to getting it now I just resent the wait. I think that when it turns up I won't be able to see past the months of misery it has given me.

This is basically what happened to me.  All the excitement wore off and I just keep seeing the bottom line I was going to be paying and started to question why I was spending that amount of money and not enjoying it.

You've got to do the right thing for you.  I'm sure all the guys on here will say don't cancel and people like me will say cancel.  Ignore it all and make your own choice.

I will say this though.  The car I switched to was delivered with a unbelievable discount and less than 1 month from order placed to driving away.  The result is that the experience of buying was very enjoyable and I have that extra good feeling when I’m driving it that I was looked after during the process and that I got a real bargain.

This is of course completely personal and it being true for me doesn't make it true for you or anyone else.  At four weeks to go I'd think hard about it, but if you've got fed up with things and think there is a better deal for you elsewhere then pull the plug.

Let us know what you decide.

Offline johanr77

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 07 October 2013, 15:04 »
If it were me in your shoes right now I'd wait. If it was going to be a lot longer than 4 weeks and I could get something I wanted as much in less time than the remaining wait I had I would probably cancel as well.

Offline benjyyy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 07 October 2013, 16:41 »
It sounds to me like buying the car was never the right decision financially for you and now that the 'shiny new car that nobody else has' excitement that clouded your brain has worn off, the lingering thought of underlying costs and diminishing value will ruin your enjoyment of actually having the car. If so, I think cancelling is the way to go because that feeling will only grow stronger...

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 07 October 2013, 18:41 »
No one got more wound up than me (well, maybe some of you  :laugh:) but I can honestly say that all that stuff disappears when you pick the car up. If it was me I'd hang in there, honestly it is worth the wait.
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Valenni

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 07 October 2013, 19:17 »
If you go for a new model or version of a car a wait is to be expected. But VW really have shafted a lot of people.

As Bill said, other manufacturers will get you a car quicker, but you won't have that exclusive factor.

I waited and I am sure I wont regret it, but I could have had a CLS, A Class AMG, a C-Class coupe or a BMW 5 series within weeks if not days, but I could not settle for that.

If it's a matter of weeks, the hang in there. It could be the best car you have ever had!
Proud owner of a Pure white Golf GTD  - Adaptive Chassis Control - Panoramic sunroof - Dynaudio sound pack.