Author Topic: Fallout from transportation ?????  (Read 3121 times)

Offline stiggy786

• GTI forum regular
Re: Fallout from transportation ?????
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2013, 16:06 »
What is this treatment? Is it AutoGlym stuff or something that all cars get? How can we prempt this? Prevention is better than cure.
**Mk7 GTI**5 door**Manual**Performance Pack**Pure White**Discover Nav**Panoramic Roof**Keyless**AutoGlym**3yr Service Plan**Ordered Oct 2013**BW46**

Jules Winfield

« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2013, 18:53 »
It's like Autoglym.  The dealer offers it to you buyers, giving you the usual spiel about how it can make your car look fantastic for a decade or more and solve world hunger.  When the time comes, some youth at the dealership will slap it on willy-nilly in the dealer's compound with a large brush in five minutes whilst having a smoke and texting their mates.  (Yes, I'm cynical.)

You don't have to have any treatment applied at all, but they will try the hard sell with you, like they would with paint protection, tyre protection, gap cover and the like.

You can prevent the same thing happening to you by declining the dealer's suggestion that you get any sort of treatment at all applied to the car by them.  There are a number of threads on here where people have opted for a professional detailer to do the job instead and have been very pleased with the results.

If you've spent £25K+ on a GTD or a GTI, and had to wait six months or more for it to turn up, you owe it to the car (and yourself) to treat it properly from the very beginning.  Get the dealer to remove any stickers and protective sheeting and give the car a quick hose down, but after that, the professional detailer takes over.  Making cars look fantastic is their bread and butter.

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2013, 19:54 »
Jules is bang on. Put it this way, my detailed took 4 hours to prep my car. Do you think the oiks in your dealership will spend the same amount of time?  :rolleyes:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline mark@vorny.co.uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 06 October 2013, 20:29 »
It's surprising more people don't think of taking up the detailer route as opposed to the dealer slapped on treatment.

What do the dealers charge, £250 ?  The dealer treated my wife's Mk5 when I had asked them not to. I didn't pay, and the first weekend was spent claying and prepping properly.

Just had my new 595 Abarth detailed prior to delivery by a well known detailer (Autobrite) and it was £130. Bargain. I expressly asked them not too touch it, not even to take off the protective wrap.

2012 GTi 3 door, DSG, Nav, Roof, Monza's. Candy White..... and it's the wife's.
2013 Abarth 595, 2013 911 C4S.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 06 October 2013, 21:42 »
Detailing can be expensive but it is certainly worth it I can vouch for it. Check out the process my car went through

http://www.rgkdetailing.com/blog/wordpress/?p=1696

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 07 October 2013, 12:47 »
History repeating itself by the looks of it.
There were a few incidences of that happening with the Mk6. In fact I'm sure someone rejected theirs.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=131694.0

Like others have said though, don't let the dealer near it. Let them pay for a detailer for you.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14