Author Topic: Best stuff to use on all that black plastic??  (Read 7752 times)

Offline moonsta

• Here all the time
Best stuff to use on all that black plastic??
« on: 09 April 2005, 05:37 »
 :sad: Anybody got any ideas on what to use for that new look on all the plastic on my 2 motors?? Have used Autoglym bumpercare for ages but am getting miffed that it don't last very long or restore the more faded plastic like it used to (i'm sure it ain't as good as it used to be!!)...................any ides'a appreciated.Thanks gang :smiley:
Drives '96 Polo 6N and '85 Mk Golf Gti...

Offline ...joe

• Forum Supporter
  • Forum addict
Re: Best stuff to use on all that black plastic??
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2005, 08:26 »
this will sound very dodgy but works. you know how bad vauxhalls plastic goes? well i used this on my dads old vectra and it lasted for months.
next time you change your oil, keep the old black stuff in a bottle somewhere. then get and on rag and wipe it evenly over your black plastic, leave it for a while and wipe of any excess, don't worry you wont get oily marks everywhere!!! and there you go dark shiny plastic for ages. best of all its free!!!
team grumpy....... its a way of life, not a forum post

mail@trimdeluxe.co.uk
www.facebook.com/Trimdeluxe

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2005, 21:41 »
I've heard mk2 owners on here recommend black shoe polish, the scuff guard one where you have to squeeze it down to get the polish out. Can't remember if they used a particular make or not though.  :smiley:
......now officially dubless.

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 09 April 2005, 21:49 »
when i used black shoe polish it washed off after a while and left black streaks on my bodywork. looked sh!tter than it did in the first place  :laugh:

use turtlewax tyre gel :wink:
:)

Offline moonsta

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 09 April 2005, 23:00 »
 :smiley: must admit that the turtlewax tyre gel sounds the best so far,but all idea's appreciated......... cheers :smiley:

Offline jimmy oldskool

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2005, 12:01 »
Whatever you use mate, make sure it's silicone free, that way, if you have to have any paintwork done, the painter won't have any problems with the paint siliconing up. :wink:

I get mine from a local bodyshop supplier, can't remember what it's called, but it's blindin, and lasts for ages! :smiley:

WARNING!
Does not play well with other children!

Offline was

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2005, 20:27 »
Use "scuff kote" or "scuff guard" shoe polish type stuff in an aplicator bottle (those with little sponges). Must be the Scuff stuff not just shoe polish (not all places have it, I got mine from sainsburys, asda didn't have any) and get a reasonable brand, only about £2

Trust me, 2 coats of this stuff lasts for months and months! Easy to apply and no mess!

Offline The Hoax

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2005, 00:08 »
For some reason, mine always looks a little better when I shammy it after rinsing. Someone once posted that they recommend the black liquids shoe polish from Lidl ( K5 or something like that - it's only about 2 or 3 quid). Are those Germans crafty or what?

Offline moonsta

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2005, 04:50 »
 :smiley: couldn't find the turtlwax tyre gel,but bought Williams F1 stuff like the Autoglym bumpercare and it really comes up great but am going to try the shoes polish as the front bumper on my gti is well faded....will let you know but recommend the Williams stuff and it's only £5:99. :smiley:

Offline G6dub

• I live here
  • Breaking lots of Golf's :-)
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2005, 12:50 »
I have heard of quite a few people using vegtable oil have never fancies tring it myself!!

I use the Autogym vinal one, you can leave it on for a shinny effect or rub it off for a mate, but I find it doens't last long.
The stuff that works and lasts is some green thick gunk stuff that I got from a valleters years ago