Author Topic: Weird electronics in winter  (Read 576 times)

Offline Sezimodo@gmail.com

• Just got here
Weird electronics in winter
« on: 06 September 2022, 21:40 »
Yes its me again....every winter my 2014 GTi goes a little crazy in the radio department! The entertainment system is happily playing one radio station, then will jump to another one and freeze the whole thing. Cant even click out of the radio and into nav or car, none of the buttons work. It's only ever when the car says its under 5 degrees outside. It's totally random, but incredibly annoying!

Anyone else experienced said gremlins?

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
Re: Weird electronics in winter
« Reply #1 on: 09 September 2022, 16:51 »
Hello, and welcome to the faulty MK7 screen club :grin:. I have a 2014 car with exactly the same issue. It's extremely common and there's nothing you can do about it. I asked the same question on here and messaged the garage after I bought the car and got nowhere. I was tempted to try a software update for £50 at the time from my local VW but even they tried to put me off by saying an update could create more issues and I just gave up in the end.

It's only an issue on the early MK7 models with the MIB1 radio, the 7.5 has an MIBII which seems to have dodged this issue. Unless you're looking to spend around £3,000 to retro fit and MIBII you're pretty much out of luck... unless anyone else on here knows otherwise. I did a lot of Google'ing back in the day and came up with nothing. Think I even messaged VW about it and they came back with some basic reply like "We have no known recall issues or similar for your car" and nothing else.