Author Topic: Noobie, advice needed  (Read 1287 times)

Offline crisis123

• Not said much yet
Noobie, advice needed
« on: 07 October 2008, 13:39 »
Hiya

I have washed cars before, but reading this forum and detailing world takes it to a whole new level. I have had my Ed 30 now since 22nd August and as yet I haven't cleaned it, and it is starting to look a little sorry for itself. Reason being I am still trying to figure out what to buy as a starter.

I think I now have an idea, as folllows;

-  2 buckets with Gritguards (maybe with sealing lid)
-  Meguairs Lambswool mitt (or Cobra micro chenille mitt)
-  Miracle Dryer (or sonus der wunder drying towel)
-  EZ detail brush
-  Gilmour foamaster
-  Snow foam (do i need to get a shampoo aswell, or can i foam with maxi suds II)

Don't know what I need for cleaning my wheels. Clay scares me. Polish, wax and sealant not got a clue.

Any advice / comments would be appreciated.

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
Re: Noobie, advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2008, 15:44 »
Problem I found with detailing is that so many people have tried so many products, there are no "recommended" products.

People seems to like Meguairs Hot Rims Wheel cleaner for wheels, diluted 50% w/w. I've found this works quite well.
Tyre gel - again, megs is quite popular here but there are other makes. I bought turtlewax tyre gel. Smells so lovely I wanna eat it!

Polish - once I get my polisher, I'm trying Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Ultra Deep Shine.
Wax - I've heard good things about Collinite wax, so I've gone for the 476s.
Sealant - if you go with autoglym again, extra gloss protection seems to be good.

Clay - I was scared of claying but within seconds of me claying my car, I knew it was a doddle.
Again, I went for megs smooth surface clay kit. Others recommend Sonus green clay with some detailer.

As for mitts, I use two - one for the body and one for the lower part, around the arches, skirts, bumpers etc.

Once you get used to detailing, you'll want to try better and more expensive products, like Zaino.

I've ordered my kit and now have to pick it up because City Link tried to deliver it and unfortunately their depot is a bit of a distance. Am aiming to detail the car in a week's time, when I'm free.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2008, 15:46 by stealthwolf »

Offline GolfDan

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2008, 18:27 »
Did city link try to charge you for a redelivery?
« Last Edit: 07 October 2008, 18:29 by GolfDan »

Offline stealthwolf

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2008, 18:36 »
No I just rang the 0870 number to let the system know I'm gonna pick it up, which I'm going to go in about 30 mins.

Why? Has that happened to you?

TBH I've never asked for a redelivery because it's still ends up on a workday.

Offline GolfDan

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2008, 18:38 »
No it hasn,t happened to me I know they started doing it though and there was uproar. I subcontract to ParcelForce and they arent much better tbh!!