Author Topic: taking care of the glossy black interior  (Read 4474 times)

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
Re: taking care of the glossy black interior
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2017, 08:55 »
This may sound random, but I have taken to using my fiance's foundation brush to remove any dust from the plastics and binnacles. I then got one of my own from a pound shop which just stays in the glove!
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2017, 15:23 »
Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll go with the I2 Tri-Clean suggested. It's not available at the link above but I found it at and ebay.co.uk seller that ships to Sweden (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gtechniq-I2-Tri-Clean-500ml-Antibacterial-All-Surface-Interior-Cleaner-/252958036011?hash=item3ae579502b) so I figure I'd throw in a couple of more products to save on shipping costs. Couple of Gtechniq MF1 ZeroR Microfiber Buffing Cloths are fine? (It's what Gtechniq suggests using with the cleaner).

Also, while I'm at it, do I need a special cleaner (and mitt) for wheels for lacquer protection or wheel cleaners are mainly to remove brake dust and heavy road dirt that car shampoo's can't?

Gtechniq microfibres will be perfect.

Wheel cleaners are not protectants for lacquer.  They are used a a pre-wash spray, to aid removal of brake dust and other dirt and are personal choice really, but if you do use a wheel cleaner, make sure it's non acidic, as the latter can damage lacquer and if there's any slight weakness in the lacquer such as a kerb mark, acidic cleaners get under it and can cause damage.  Non acidic wheel cleaners such as ValetPro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner is fine and best used at dilution ratios of 1:8 or 1:10 for regular maintenance use as a pre-wash (to the normal wheel wash), and at these dilutions won't strip any protection you have on the wheels.

However, wheel cleaners are not the same as products such iron removers, and so won't shift embedded brake dust or iron deposits which build up on all wheels (and body work) over time, but a wheel cleaner will prevent build up as will good wheel sealant/wax.  Iron removers and tar removers such as Iron X and Tardis are the products that remove embedded iron/brake dust/fallout and tar/glue/sap, that normal washing won't touch and are best used 2/3 times a year.  These products will strip any sealant or wax so you need to reapply protection after use of them.

A wheel mitt is a very good choice. Choose a microfibre one and as well as being great for gentle washing of wheels, they protect your hands from the sharp knuckle shredding brake guards.  Another product to consider for effective wheel cleaning is a set of Wheel Woolies, which are brilliant for all wheel jobs, and tailpipe cleaning. They are pricy for a set of 3 different sizes but a very good long term investment as they last years if looked after.  Most good detailing gear websites sell a version of them.

Lol, I knew one simple question would bite me back with paragraphs of explanations from some detail enthusiast but thanks for taking the time to write that. Unfortunately I don't think I will go as far as to use iron/tar removers or wax/seal the wheels, just clean them along with the body every time I wash the car. So If I got it right, wheel cleaner is just sprayed over the wheels prior to washing to help with dirt removal that normal shampoo can't touch, you don't actually wash the wheels with it right? Then just rinse it and do the normal washing with the same shampoo that I use for the body?

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2017, 16:26 »
Lol, I knew one simple question would bite me back with paragraphs of explanations from some detail enthusiast but thanks for taking the time to write that. Unfortunately I don't think I will go as far as to use iron/tar removers or wax/seal the wheels, just clean them along with the body every time I wash the car. So If I got it right, wheel cleaner is just sprayed over the wheels prior to washing to help with dirt removal that normal shampoo can't touch, you don't actually wash the wheels with it right? Then just rinse it and do the normal washing with the same shampoo that I use for the body?

Yeah sorry for the essay. 

Wheel cleaner will aid removal of the dirt and then shampoo will do the rest. But neither will remove built up  embedded brake dust that only iron remover will get shot of but it will help prevent build up.  Spray it on at correct dilution and leave to dwell for 10mins.  I spray it on first before anything else, then snowfoam rest of car, and rinse it off with snow foam.  Then I do my wheel wash with dedicated bucket of shampoo, mitt and woolies.  Same shampoo as for body but in own bucket as wheels are dirtiest part of car.  Best to wash wheels before bodywork for that reason, stops you dirtying clean bodywork which is the risk if you do wheels last.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2017, 20:31 »

Yeah sorry for the essay. 

Wheel cleaner will aid removal of the dirt and then shampoo will do the rest. But neither will remove built up  embedded brake dust that only iron remover will get shot of but it will help prevent build up.  Spray it on at correct dilution and leave to dwell for 10mins.  I spray it on first before anything else, then snowfoam rest of car, and rinse it off with snow foam.  Then I do my wheel wash with dedicated bucket of shampoo, mitt and woolies.  Same shampoo as for body but in own bucket as wheels are dirtiest part of car.  Best to wash wheels before bodywork for that reason, stops you dirtying clean bodywork which is the risk if you do wheels last.

Very good.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2017, 07:21 »
Just a good soft microfibre cloth for me and a light wipe regularly and it still looks like new 2 1/2 years later.
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2017, 10:38 »
Ended up going for:

1x Gtechniq I2 Tri-Clean 500ml Antibacterial All Surface Interior Cleaner,  for the interior and plastics

1x Autobrite Alcantara and SuedeSurface Cleaner 500ml,  for the steering wheel and buckets

2x Autobrite Very Cherry Non Acid Wheel Cleaner 500ml, at dilution ratios of 10:1 I calculate that I will have gone through both o of those with just 10L of water which is what? 3 washes? Seems too little. How much water should I be using?

and a couple of Gtechniq MF1 microfibers.

Most money I've ever spent on cleaning products  :grin:  (I know how ridiculous that will sound to detailing guys!)