Author Topic: GTi and GTD real world MPG ?  (Read 9742 times)

Offline drisser

• I live here
GTi and GTD real world MPG ?
« on: 04 February 2015, 08:08 »
Sorry am sure this has been covered before.

Given I get nothing like the claimed MPG on my Audi TTS ( never ever better than 30 mpg which I find poor for a 4 cyl) I would be keen to know what real world users of GTi and GTD are getting with their cars ?

Running costs of the GTD appeal to me but I much prefer the GTi look, just wondered what anyone is getting on a mix of driving given we all know the quoted numbers are pie in the sky ?

I found BMW's quoted MPG's are much closer to what is achievable than Audi / VW..
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
Re: GTi and GTD real world MPG ?
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2015, 08:14 »
My GTi is averaging around 32mpg but i do quite a lot of shorter journeys < 10 miles.

Offline CraigW

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2015, 08:22 »
My average is somewhere between 32-34mpg and that's doing roughly 40 miles a day, 50/50 split between city driving and motorway

Offline caprigreen

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2015, 08:28 »
I have covered 2000 miles and my average is 33.8 mpg but 800 miles of that have been long trips mainly motorway. Local 6 miles runs in hilly cornwall I get around 32mpg per tank if I take it easy. I am hoping this will improve as the weather warms up and the engine beds in but not by much. filled up at tesco with club card for 98p a litre so good timing for new petrol car as oil price has crashed :smiley:
My MK5 GT TDI 170 DPF only retruned 43 mpg locally and as I only do around 8000 miles a year I went for the GTI as i much prefer the styling and heritage. Worth the extra few quid in fuel. If i was doing 15 -20 k a year might have to consider the fuel cost   :smiley:
64 plate VW Golf GTI PP Pure white
1991 VW Golf GTI 8v Silver, 30k miles

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2015, 08:43 »
Good point actually about the fuel cost, given unleaded is now around 5-6% cheaper than diesel, that cancels out some of the economy benefit..

Have found diesel MPG claims to be just as wild as petrol TBH, my TT TDi quattro never did much more than 45mpg, which to be fair isnt bad but it was a light car.. I did find on long trips it was handy for example driving from East Anglia to North Scotland you didnt need to fill up at overpriced motorway services !

Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2015, 08:50 »
Type MPG in the search box at the top of the page and there are a ton of discussions about fuel consumption.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline JBirchy

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2015, 09:50 »
My GTI has a long term of around 31mpg. I live only 3 miles from my office and most of my driving is A-B Roads. If and when I do a long motorway journey, it does get up to about 36-37mpg.

Interesting as my MK5 GTI was about the same, if not a touch better.
MK7 GTI 3-Door DSG, Tornado Red, Discover Nav, Winter Pack, ACC, Keyless Go, Reversing Camera, Service Pack... Ordered 28th Oct... Collected 1st March!

Offline drisser

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2015, 09:57 »
Out of interest has anyone noticed a difference with the PP version ie is it much the same .. ?

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2015, 10:07 »
GTD, average over 24K miles 47.4mpg in all driving. Varied driving, motorway and A/B roads as well as some urban stuff...

Petrol about 6% cleaper than diesel. Diesel (on the figures in this thread) uses about 35% less fuel.

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline andrewparker

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2015, 10:17 »
My GTI averaged mid 20s and my current GTD is late 30s to mid 40s. I estimate is returns at least 15mpg more than the GTI did, so 165 miles more per tank.

Major frustration for me was motorway journeys in the GTI, I found it almost impossible to break 40mpg, whereas the GTD has on a number of occasions exceeded it's official combined figure of 67.3mpg.

However, in day-to-day driving I think the GTI is a more satisfying car. It just feels sharper and doesn't suffer from the slightly poor throttle response you get with the 2.0TDI. I honestly think the GTD is faster on the motorway though.
Current – Mk7 Golf R, Night Blue, 5dr, Manual / Mk7.5 Golf R, Indium Grey, Estate, DSG