Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2781290 times)

Offline Ibdrew

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #8880 on: 10 October 2018, 17:58 »
Bought a nice set of secondhand Austin Alloys now cleaned and waxed ready for new tyres, 4 Michelin crossclimate +ordered, to be fitted on Friday. So hopefully all ready for winter by the weekend

Offline Hebegeebee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8881 on: 11 October 2018, 07:38 »
Bought a nice set of secondhand Austin Alloys now cleaned and waxed ready for new tyres, 4 Michelin crossclimate +ordered, to be fitted on Friday. So hopefully all ready for winter by the weekend

Nice find but the Austin isn’t meant for Winter use due to the diamond cut faces on the wheels. They could corrode during the winter from exposure to road salt. Maybe because you are putting CC+ on them you live in a mild area and salt isn’t an issue. It’s one to be aware of though.
Picked up 03/Nov/2017 - GTi-P, White silver, 5dr., Manual with extras

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #8882 on: 11 October 2018, 08:20 »
I 💗  this vehicle, but it will be the last ICE car I will ever purchase.

I am nearly 60 years old now and have never owned a car for 5 years before, but I do intend to keep this one for at least another year.

Why only another year. If it's not eating much grass, I'd keep it for ever.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Ibdrew

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8883 on: 11 October 2018, 10:30 »
I know what you mean,I’ve took a bit of a gamble with the Austin’s for the winter I would have preferred Cadiz alloys but for a good set they are over double the cost I got the Austin’s for, the car came with Santiago’s fitted and all 4 tyres a now on the low side so will need replacing soon.
My original plan was to buy 4 aez raise alloys at £750 ish plus winter or all season tyres which would have totalled around 12-13 hundred pounds, I then spotted the Austin’s on eBay and changed plan, I will run the car over the winter with the Austin/crossclimate+ after reading the reviews I think the tyres should cope with the local winter conditions although I was considering full winter tyres, and then come about April/may I will put the santiagos back on with new summer tyres. When I eventually sell the car I will sell the genuine Austin’s separately and hopefully I’d still get a better percentage of my money back then had I bought the aez alloys.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8884 on: 12 October 2018, 14:21 »
Cleaned the crap off it.  Literally!  Pesky pigeons!

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=274783.msg2595766#msg2595766
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #8885 on: 13 October 2018, 03:38 »
Optical illusion with reflections on the the guard's edge - at first I thought your tyres were bald!
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #8886 on: 13 October 2018, 07:20 »
Well today I found a coolant leak at 62k miles. Only a slight one and looked like it was a loose jubilee clip near thermostat housing (thanks VW dealers) but tightened it up, cleaned it all off and the leak is still there. So could be water pump or gasket in that area. Only a couple of drops of coolant on my undertray so not major enough for me to be concerned yet but will keep an eye on it.

Offline Moro

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8887 on: 13 October 2018, 13:59 »
I 💗  this vehicle, but it will be the last ICE car I will ever purchase.

I am nearly 60 years old now and have never owned a car for 5 years before, but I do intend to keep this one for at least another year.

Why only another year. If it's not eating much grass, I'd keep it for ever.
I cannot see me continuing to drive the LEAF as soon as the European manufacturers bring out models to rival the yet-to-be-released-in-UK Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor  - so a bit of consolidation will be in order, and a £50k+ BEV will require the equity of both the Golf and the LEAF to put towards its purchase price.

I have not given up on having at least one more performance car...
GTi Reflex Silver 5 door DSG: Sat Nav Pro; Dynaudio; Panoramic Roof; ACC; Keyless; Winter Pack; Reversing Camera

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8888 on: 13 October 2018, 15:08 »
Well today I found a coolant leak at 62k miles. Only a slight one and looked like it was a loose jubilee clip near thermostat housing (thanks VW dealers) but tightened it up, cleaned it all off and the leak is still there. So could be water pump or gasket in that area. Only a couple of drops of coolant on my undertray so not major enough for me to be concerned yet but will keep an eye on it.

Thermostat housing itself seems to be a weak point too.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8889 on: 14 October 2018, 11:38 »
Scanned the car with my vcds and found a fault saying battery current in key fob 1 is low. Ordered some Duracell for replacement but it looks like no warning shows on the dash (can't remember who was asking this before).
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.