Author Topic: mk3 golf 2.0 cabrio  (Read 9884 times)

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
mk3 golf 2.0 cabrio
« on: 23 August 2012, 14:01 »
this is my mk3 golf 2.0 avantgarde cabriolet.
I am currently on maternity leave and not content with just looking after my gorgeous baby girl all day long i decided to look for something to do...
i bought the car for £300 with 129k on the clock off Ebay about 4 weeks ago intending to tidy it up and sell it on, thought it would be fun doing a bit of spraying, cleaning and interior work in the garden whilst we have a bit of nice weather and i do enjoy playing with vws having owns loads of them in the past.
when i picked up the car i knew this would not be a car to sell on, unfortunately the guy on Ebay had not mentioned the knackered gearbox which i was annoyed about but only realised when i got the car home and reversed it on to the drive, it makes the loudest missing gear teeth noise ive ever heard!  :angry:
By the time i have paid to get a new box put in and the rest of the stuff I had planned it would not be worth selling so in the meantime has sold my mk3 golf 1.4 daily driver so this is going to be my car to keep, hope i dont regret it!!

here it is when i bought it, looking generally scruffy and unloved.

my step dad and I spent ages pulling the wiring and fuses apart because when i bought it the guy said the roof didnt work, after a lot of help from a certain someone on this forum i realized the roof was actually working all along, silly me just didnt realize you have to have the key in the ignition but turned off and the doors shut! ddeeerrrr!
i fitted some smoked side repeaters, a leather steering wheel, cream leather seats and a CD player and also sourced a cream leather hood cover.
I spent a day cleaning the car and spraying all the plastic bits black again which looks loads better and got the car taxed so its now on the road.
I have a load more to do, the next thing is the gearbox needs replacing, i need to give it a good service, im going to have it resprayed after some selfish little **** backed into it and scratched all my bumper up, ive also had someone open their door into the side of it today  :cry:

But anyway, here it is now...

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
Re: mk3 golf 2.0 cabrio
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2012, 14:14 »
Looks much better with the new seats and the black bumpers! When is it going lower? :evil:

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2012, 14:54 »
when ive got it running nicely with a gearbox and a service then will get it lowered, definately needs it!
would like to keep the wheels though as they look brand new. maybe get some spacers on there to fit the arches better.

Offline AcidicDavey

• Here all the time
  • Not a VAG Owner.
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2012, 15:06 »
What did you use on the plastics to make them look that good? The matte finish is a good look for them.
95 Volvo 480 2.0 Celebration

Offline dubstar9

• Here all the time
  • Back to the Golf scene
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2012, 16:20 »
Looks load better with that hood down now too :wink: :grin:

Your interior is looking mint now and cheers for the heads up on the door trims :smug:

Are you going for a cream hood later as I think that will look great once she's painted and slammed :cool:

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2012, 23:48 »
yeah i want a canvas cream hood eventually.  :smiley:

i used black bumper paint to do all the trim, that way it stays black. hate that back to black crap, you have to do it every few weeks and it looks all shiney.

Offline hobnobbob

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 24 August 2012, 01:41 »
none too shabby for £300! shame about the 'box though.

love the cream interior on the red! its what i want on my bright red cabrio.

Offline DanChave

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 August 2012, 09:15 »
Nice little cabby you got there! And a bargin for 300 notes :)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #8 on: 24 August 2012, 14:44 »
Nice cabby, shame about the box... Maybe it was your destiny to keep it.  :grin:  Looks loads better with those seats gone.

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2012, 15:15 »
fitted a chrome badgeless grille today, may paint it black though?