Author Topic: Anyone drive a company van and company policy re looking after them?  (Read 620 times)

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
I’ve just brought 3 x brand new company vans for our guys at work ( a couple of Vauxhall Vivaro Sportive's and a Citroen Berlingo LX ).

I run a small company which installs and maintains commercial and domestic heating systems.

Our guys use the vans for when their out on jobs daily and for travelling to and from work (no personal use within reason). The vans are insured through the company.

My question is....... if anyone drives a company van could you let me know what your company policy is with regard to looking after them and your responsibility regarding any damage etc?

I've brought the vans to replace 3 x existing vans which are about 6-7 years old. Our guys haven't really looked after their vans to well, which has cost the company a small fortune in repair bills over the years. Getting really pee'd off with this and wondered if I could put some responsibility back onto to our employees with regard to repair costs if they are clearly not looking after them. My main concern isn’t so much the mechanical (as we book any servicing in from the office) but it's all the scrapes and dents they seem accumulate!!
« Last Edit: 17 May 2012, 15:30 by MAW73 »

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
We have a policy at our work (that was recently changed actually)for vans or cars (the install guys have vans). The only responsibility we have if you own a company car (as opposed to what I do and take a car allowance and buy my own, I have more responsibility like maintenance, tax, insurance etc) is that you need to keep it looking clean and presentable inside and out. Things like dents and scratch gets VERY frowned upon by our MD but there isnt anything he can do (Im sure if he could he would) and most times if they are small, they are just left and will be charged to the company when the cars go back to lease company.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think you can make the employee pay to repair a scratch, dent etc if its insured under the company.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
we have to do a check over the vans every week an fill out a stupid damage report form,any damage unreported has saw a couple a ppl loss there bonus for a month or 2,an if the vans are not kept clean the boss goes nuts
« Last Edit: 17 May 2012, 14:20 by barrym381 »

Offline raferackstraw

• I live here
any company that provided me a van as a contractor has stipulated that any damage is down to the driver except when a full on accident is involved,
when i worked for kellys they used to deduct 10quid a week and if no damage after 6 months then you get half of it back and the other half rolls over to the next 6 months. you would get all money back if no damage when leaving
other companies would do a check with you when you first got the van and then if any damage when leaving then an amount say 20% of the cost of repairs would be deducted from wages.
currently work for british gas and any damage like scrapes bumps etc well thats your bonus gone for that quarter.
you can make them accountable for their actions when driving but it needs to be officially rolled out as company policy

wayne gardner smokes one rothmans too many
500cc 2stroke bad for ya health

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
any company that provided me a van as a contractor has stipulated that any damage is down to the driver except when a full on accident is involved....

^^^^^
Think that seems quite fair.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2012, 19:44 by MAW73 »

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto