Author Topic: what to do  (Read 1419 times)

Offline daviegti

• Just got here
what to do
« on: 16 December 2010, 09:13 »
allright folks im a bit confused and dont know what to do ... i can get a vw golf gti mk4 1.8 turbo whats the best things to do to them i have been told to get a standard 1.8 20v turbo and fit anniversary gearbox onto it so i have the joys of the 6 speed box but what is the difference with the 5 speed and 6 what advantages is there to the 6th gear (performance wise) and how easy is it to convert a 5 speed to a 6 speed is it just a simple case of swapping them over or do i need to change driveshafts ect ect and also what coilovers are best for golfs and is there a lightweight wheel manufacturer that do volkswagen fitment as i used to own a set of mk5 monza alloys i think they were called dnt quote me on that but they were very heavy even without tyres

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: what to do
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2010, 10:41 »
Little or no point in fitting a 6spd to be honest.

Offline daviegti

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2010, 12:08 »
is it the same ratios as the gti 150 ? except with one extra gear for cruising ?

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
  • Its Whats Under The Hood That Counts........
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2010, 21:23 »
The 6th gear is purly there for cruising, eco and to help for less wear on gearbox. Cant really see why it would be better to fit one with 6 speed unless you want to save money on fuel and you do long motorway miles???

Id Rather Push A VW Then Drive A Ford. 

www.bombercountydubs.co.uk

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2010, 15:24 »
6 speed box came with the 180 bhp Mk4's.

As above its there for crusing and to reduce the revs/wear on the gearbox.

Not much point in puttingt it on the 150 bhp mk4.

Look here:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/search/results/taxonomy%253A620

Offline daviegti

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2010, 15:25 »
im more looking for acceluration more thn anything is there any mods that can be made to the ratio to speed up the acceluration from 0-60?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2010, 18:28 »
im more looking for acceluration more thn anything is there any mods that can be made to the ratio to speed up the acceluration from 0-60?

Strip out unnecessary weight
Fit stickier tyres

Why so bothered about 0-60mph anyway??  A MK4 is not exactly a dragster........

Real world performance is all about 30mph + and for that the best mod is a remap

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2010, 19:12 »
Strip out unnecessary weight
Fit stickier tyres

Why so bothered about 0-60mph anyway??  A MK4 is not exactly a dragster........

Real world performance is all about 30mph + and for that the best mod is a remap

Agree with this, the best mod would be a good remap. Why the hurry to 60 anyway? The golf would be quick to 60 with a good remap, if i were you i would be looking at the normal mods to increase the acceleration, better air intake, better exhaust system and uprate the intercooler etc etc, simple little things like this will all help your acceleration. But if you really need to get there even quicker then you will have to spend some pennys looking at getting a close ratio gearbox?
« Last Edit: 19 December 2010, 10:55 by Rhyso »

Offline daviegti

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2010, 21:53 »
yeah im looking at making it a track car as i have decided to turbo my civic b18

Offline Peej1981

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 29 December 2010, 00:42 »
If you are looking to make it into a track car then yes speed is good but i personaly would be looking at the handling side and set up of it more. You already have a good engine which is already farely quick but theres not point in having massive power if it cant be used around corners too. I would find out as much info on setting the car up properly i.e supension, breaks, stripping it out, roll cage and front and rear struts etc etc. The best person to speak to about setting up a track car would be Dimond Hell, pm him and he will give you some good pointers as what to do. Once it is properly set up then look at getting the best out of your engine. :smiley: