Author Topic: Golf Gti 2010 Mark 6 - Smell of fuel when I park up UPDATED  (Read 3771 times)

Offline MerrickCampbell

• Just got here
Its quite worrying that after a drive I park up and get out of the car I can smell, quite a strong smell, of petrol. So on investigation the smell is strongest near the rear wheel arch,fuel filler cap!This has now been looked at at a main dealer and a breather pipe that would vent any pressure from the tank and filler neck was totally blocked! Also a rubber seal in the filler cap was partly perished.
So we think fuel smells could not escape via the breather and could get past the filler cap!

I'll monitor for a day or two and hopefully its solved. The VW Independent didn't even think about the breather pipe so that was a bit dissapointing!

So far i have had the car at the local VW Independent and they have had the car up on the ramp and looked at all the fuel pipe work and its all bone dry. I know the fuel filter is there and snap fit but that is all bone dry. And no leak on ground!

Cheers

Merrick
« Last Edit: 26 October 2015, 17:54 by MerrickCampbell »

Offline MerrickCampbell

• Just got here
Re: Golf Gti 2010 Mark 6 - Smell of fuel when I park up UPDATED
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2015, 18:31 »
I have updated my previous post, see below.

I have researched this subject of a smell of fuel, as if there's a leak, on the internet and surprised I haven't found any comment about blocked breather pipe being a possibility. I hope this is the problem and its now solved. Has anybody out there heard of this before?
Merrick

a
Its quite worrying that after a drive I park up and get out of the car I can smell, quite a strong smell, of petrol. So on investigation the smell is strongest near the rear wheel arch,fuel filler cap!This has now been looked at at a main dealer and a breather pipe that would vent any pressure from the tank and filler neck was totally blocked! Also a rubber seal in the filler cap was partly perished.
So we think fuel smells could not escape via the breather and could get past the filler cap!

I'll monitor for a day or two and hopefully its solved. The VW Independent didn't even think about the breather pipe so that was a bit dissapointing!

So far i have had the car at the local VW Independent and they have had the car up on the ramp and looked at all the fuel pipe work and its all bone dry. I know the fuel filter is there and snap fit but that is all bone dry. And no leak on ground!

Cheers

Merrick