Author Topic: Adi's mk3 wannabe mk2 GL + GTI daily :)  (Read 17644 times)

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
Re: Adi's PB powered mk2 golf GL *TAKE 2*
« Reply #30 on: 12 August 2012, 19:44 »
Now the man-flu is going away slowly I've done a bit on it, got all the mk3 running gear bolted up in place, steering UJ on rack, flexis screwed to calipers, etc

Then I decided I would stick some wheels on the back of it and push it out, theres no way I can do the wiring in the garage.

Was really nice to see it out in the light again after nearly 2 months. Definately need smaller tyres but I've already sorted something for that. 280s look disappointingly small behind these wheels, but never mind, these are the only 5x100 wheels I have at the mo.
Have some pointless pics

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 15 August 2012, 15:59 »
Done a bit today, now the car is out the garage so I have a bit more room I've tidied the garage up a bit and made a start prepping the mk3 rear beam, took off the brake pipes I chopped (scrappy style  :lol: ) and removed the rear calipers to sell as I have some newer ones with braided hoses to go on. Also made a start on removing the mk2 axle...

OK so all I did was take the back wheels off and assess the state of the unions on the bias valve (which look clean :)) but as you can see it was raining and I'd already got wet enough lol.

Here's the state of play in the garage now, you can see the mk3 beam stood up against the wall.

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 18 August 2012, 19:46 »
Had a go on the golf today, a pics say a thousand words so...

Off came the mk2 GTI rear axle

Lined up the mk3 axle

I had previously swapped a few brake lines over, greased them up and swapped the calipers to some good ones I bought a while back with braided hoses

Came across a slight problem here, the bias valve on the mk3 beam is about 7 inches further back! No biggie I'l just extend the brake pipes

Came across an even bigger problem here! I snapped a bolt that fixes the beam to the chassis. Any tips on how to rectify this without taking the beam back off?

Feeling a bit down at this point I finished up, stuck some wheels on and stood back to admire my work

Then having a bit of time left I attacked some boring wiring jobs. First up, remove the dash. Deja Vu sets in here, seen all this before so many times...

As you can see here I've swapped the loom for the clocks and swapped the stalks over from the mk3. Just got to fish out the MFA loom from the donor and plug that it. Question of the day.... What are these 2 anonymous plugs for that come off the 2 blue fusebox plugs for the mk3 clocks?

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
Re: Adi's mk3 wannabe mk2 GL
« Reply #33 on: 19 August 2012, 15:40 »
Done a bit more today. Took the digifant engine harness out

Here's the 2 mk2 looms and the single mk3 loom (its small as a lot of it is attached to the engine and just joins this loom with a big round plug next to the dizzy)

Mk3 loom in and plugged in

We have some life...

However when I turn the ignition on the ISV cracks and the fuel pump primes. But it won't turn over and I get no ignition lights on the clocks. Probably caused by some of these anonymous plugs that don't seem to go anywhere...?

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
Re: Adi's mk3 wannabe mk2 GL + GTI daily :)
« Reply #34 on: 01 September 2012, 16:32 »
I'm proud to introduce my new daily :)

She's a fairly original 8v GTI, had a lot spent on it, only changes are rainbow seats and spax adjustables. I've been a little bit naughty and stolen the early mk3 steering wheel, osram nightbreaker bulbs, and gearknob from the GL. Also got an amazing classic policy from footman james, 288quid fully comp with breakdown cover and overseas cover! Nearly fell off my chair!

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 02 September 2012, 18:53 »
Its amazing what a difference some elbow grease makes

Offline vw_golf_nutter

• Here all the time
« Reply #36 on: 02 September 2012, 20:46 »
love your new car, really really jealous!!

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #37 on: 04 September 2012, 19:49 »
Well something big happened today. Not real progress on the car but its a big deal for me.

Firstly I got the 2 aquainted ;)

Then I hooked them up

Then stood back and admired my dream garden haha

Gavv8

« Reply #38 on: 04 September 2012, 19:52 »
You should break out the strimmer while your there... :grin:

Offline tsr_adi

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 04 September 2012, 19:54 »
needs new wire in it  :grin: