Author Topic: 2018 mk7.5 Golf R  (Read 1521 times)

Offline hryjones99

• Just got here
2018 mk7.5 Golf R
« on: 10 August 2023, 10:15 »
Hi All!

As the subject says I've got a 2018 mk7.5 Golf R, I've previously lurked around the forum for potential retrofits/VCDS mods, not that I've done any yet :laugh:

I did have a concern with the car the other day, so I'm going to do a bit more digging in case I've missed anything but if not, see you on the mk7 thread :smiley:

Have a great day all!
Harry

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: 2018 mk7.5 Golf R
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2023, 13:37 »
Welcome  :smiley:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Online Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2023, 18:21 »
Welcome Harry  :smiley:

What sort of retrofits and VCDS tweakery were/are you planning?

Are you a member on VWROC? Not been over there for years but there was always excellent R specific advice on hand.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2023, 14:51 »
Did someone say retrofits  :smiley: I like retrofits.

What's the concern with the R? We may not be able to help as much with the 4wd system but we can help with everything else.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline hryjones99

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2023, 14:28 »
Hey All,

Thank you for the kind welcome!

I managed to find one mention of my same concern on here and everyone had said it's probably a software glitch. I was driving along and got "Check left dipped beam", "Check right dipped beam" & "Error: AFL" (or something along them lines), a bit of panic set in as from what I've read before the lights aren't serviceable & ~£700/cluster, but I got home, switched it off and on again & it was gone and hasn't come back since :shocked:

The VCDS tweaks I'd like to do:
  • Window close when raining
  • Coming home lights on automatically - I wondered for a long time why this didn't work until I came across a thread on this forum that I'm meant to flash my full beams
  • Show fan speed on auto
  • Heated seat memory

The retrofits:
  • Reversing Camera
  • Active TPMS - I know people usually advise against this, but I'm the sort of person to hear a little noise and start thinking "Hmm, what if I've got a flat?"

Nothing too big on the retrofit front but a few more VCDS adaptions, there's some others I've seen but I'm not 100% sure on like the full width brake lights, so I'll see how i go.

Can anyone settle a light disagreement that came up with my dad, I was always convinced my lights were bi-xenons, he's convinced they're LEDs. When looking into them there's what looks like 4 distinct sources of light, but I didn't want to look too long  :grin: There seems to be conflicting information online...

Thanks!

Online Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2023, 18:35 »
With age comes wisdom and knowledge (along with hair sprouting out of ears and nose) so you’ll have to cough up the fiver to your dad, he is quite correct.

The mk7 has bi-xenons and 7.5 has LEDs.

Your fault is likely one of those random electrical gremlins that could be caused by anything from a briefly obscured sensor, low voltage, weather, dodgy connection, bad mood.

The VCDS stuff is all well covered online. It’ll be a good project.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner