Author Topic: Downloading POI's (e.g. Speed Cameras)  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Downloading POI's (e.g. Speed Cameras)
« on: 12 May 2021, 08:43 »
HI guys, now that VW have removed the facility to download POI's in the "Car-Net" (now called We Connect) app, and the "special" VW Germany website that used to prepare the POI packages has long since gone, does anyone know anyway to get a list of POI's (for example speed cameras) onto the car (MIB2) again ?

I did mine when I first got the GTI back in 2018 but have never updated them, but with lockdown about to be completely lifted soon, I have some longer journeys planned in the summer to see friends that live the other end of the country and would just like to update the POI database in the car. I have a running subscription to PocketGPS World, so actually getting the speed cameras isn't an issue, it' just the package to prepare them for the car to recognise them ?

Someone on another forum suggested a package called POinspect0r, but when I downloaded that my Virus program detected a virus in the main executable so quarantined it ? Any advise greatly appreciated.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: Downloading POI's (e.g. Speed Cameras)
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2021, 09:45 »
Is there any reason you're not using Google Maps (or Waze, etc)?

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2021, 11:08 »
Yes, I like to have the map displayed in the AID and Apple Car play or Android Auto can't do that.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2021, 12:15 »
You can just run up waze and then come out of it without route guidance active on it.

Then it will shout at you about speed cameras while you use your VW Nav (if you want) or do anything else.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline MK4_20VT

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2021, 16:32 »
I have bought  POinspect0r for the Poi Speed camera maps & it works ok.  Im running AVG

If you want, i can create you a speed camera poi for you.  MY subscription to Pocket GPS ran out last month, so it will be from April

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2021, 17:14 »
If you wouldn't mind, could I have a copy as well please?
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline agentutah

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2021, 19:54 »
I recently downloaded the new tomtom AmiGo free app Which work's with Android auto, it's pretty basic but not too bad tbh, but the feature that's good is it identifies speed cameras, both visual and audible warning, this works even when I don't have the app selected on the display, I can have Spotify playing and it still picks up speed cameras in the background.  I prefer the VW map in the central cluster too as feel the now outdated display is pretty redundant if not displaying nav!
« Last Edit: 12 May 2021, 19:56 by agentutah »

Offline DrivenToDistraction

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2022, 21:08 »
HI guys, now that VW have removed the facility to download POI's in the "Car-Net" (now called We Connect) app, and the "special" VW Germany website that used to prepare the POI packages has long since gone, does anyone know anyway to get a list of POI's (for example speed cameras) onto the car (MIB2) again ?

I did mine when I first got the GTI back in 2018 but have never updated them, but with lockdown about to be completely lifted soon, I have some longer journeys planned in the summer to see friends that live the other end of the country and would just like to update the POI database in the car. I have a running subscription to PocketGPS World, so actually getting the speed cameras isn't an issue, it' just the package to prepare them for the car to recognise them ?

Someone on another forum suggested a package called POinspect0r, but when I downloaded that my Virus program detected a virus in the main executable so quarantined it ? Any advise greatly appreciated.

Sorry to resurrect this thread from last year, but is the short answer that it can't be done using the previous methods? I have seen reference to POinspectOr too, but don't know anything about it. Is there a how-to somewhere on here? If you have a car without wireless android auto, then alternate suggestions based on Waze etc are not that convenient as they depend on you remembering to plug your phone into the usb socket every single time you get in the car. Having the speed camera icons displayed on the VW maps (even without a warning 'dong') was great (I had a 7.5 Golf back in 2017) - especially with the map displayed right in front of you -  but obviously not so easy to do these days?

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2022, 22:25 »
You can get speedcam files from eBay and then just load them on. Been doing it like that for years without any issue.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2022, 14:32 »
Read this by McMaddy two days ago. Sourced the files on eBay and received them today on an SD card. Updated in a couple of minutes - simple. Small cost - potential licence saving. Thanks.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 09 March 2022, 14:37 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.