Author Topic: Hunting for a nice Golf  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
Hunting for a nice Golf
« on: 13 February 2024, 12:55 »
Looking for a nice petrol Golf for my boy. He is only 22 and has just started work away from home so can't afford the insurance on a GTi. So a 1.4 of 1.5 tsfi in good condition with full service history. Anyone selling something nice? Mk7 or 7.5 preferably. I'm in West Wales but happy to travel.
Thanks
Dave

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
Re: Hunting for a nice Golf
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2024, 16:28 »
Just an update on this. My boy found a nice 7.5 1.5 driver at his local main dealer. He drove home in it yesterday after collecting it on Wednesday. Being a bit of a home mechanic, I gave it the once over. I was shocked!
This is an approved used car with just over 40k miles on the clock.
Both front tyres are worn on the inside edges and need replacing, the rear brake pads have only 2mm left and all four shocks are leaking oil!
On doing a few more checks ( we should have done this before, I know) mot history check revealed all these were pointed out at the last mot a few weeks ago, presumably done by VW themselves.
It's going back on Tuesday.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2024, 17:53 »
That is taking the p!!! even for a main stealer. Surprised it passed the mot as 2mm is the minimum spec so within a couple of weeks use would fail. No care about customer safety in this case. Give them he'll.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2024, 20:15 »
Sorry, im not trying to say its acceptable or anything, but 'technically' its all ok, although not what you expect from a newly purchased car.

2mm is above the 1.5mm minimum thickness for disc pads so is a pass.

Front tyres as long as 1.6mm tread depth across the centre ¾ is also a pass.

Light misting of oil on the dampers is not a reason for rejection, even VW state a light misting of oil is acceptable.

Good practice to advise on all the above.

2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2024, 20:42 »
I think the key indicator on used cars is the tyres.
I remember looking at a nice Mk 7 and being repelled by the cheapo covers on the front.
It just said “company car or hire/pcp” to me.
Immediate no-no.
And here is the problem….I bought my car for cash, outright. Very old school.
Not convinced everyone in a different camp cares so much.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2024, 20:44 »
I’ve just made a similarly regrettable error involving misplaced optimism.
I just sat through 1hr 45 of “Barbie” movie.  :rolleyes:

Although these tolerances are vaguely above the legal minimum you’d expect rather more from a main dealer.
Oh yes, misplaced optimism again.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2024, 13:01 »
The more I think about this the more it grates me.
VW harp on about the 142 point checks etc etc which makes one wonder what exactly they do check.
I won’t bore everyone here but my son’s girlfriend had a bit of an experience with an “approved used” car too. Mostly sorted in the end but still a faff.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2024, 13:08 »
I suppose where the Das Welt Auto warranty (hopefully) counts is when, for example, ths DSG box has nothing but neutrals.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2024, 14:44 »
I think the key indicator on used cars is the tyres.
I remember looking at a nice Mk 7 and being repelled by the cheapo covers on the front.
It just said “company car or hire/pcp” to me.
Immediate no-no.
And here is the problem….I bought my car for cash, outright. Very old school.
Not convinced everyone in a different camp cares so much.

100% agree, 4 matching tyres of a quality make speak legends. Also agree on the cash and own outright philosophy.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2024, 14:54 »
The more I think about this the more it grates me.
VW harp on about the 142 point checks etc etc which makes one wonder what exactly they do check.
I won’t bore everyone here but my son’s girlfriend had a bit of an experience with an “approved used” car too. Mostly sorted in the end but still a faff.

Interesting that the 142 point check is now ‘a comprehensive workshop inspection with over 100 individual checks’ - see ‘Multipoint check’ section at the following link;  https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/benefits-and-offers.html.

The ‘over 100’ gives VW the opportunity to change the number of checklist items to something other than 142. The cynic in me would say VW would be more likely to reduce the number of items checked to something less than 142 rather than increase it, and…………..surprise, surprise, that’s exactly what they’ve done at some point :whistle:. Checklist is now 130 items; link to VW’s Approved Used checklist below;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/gb/used/approved-used-benefits/Approved_Used_Handover_sheets_ICE_Digital_edited.pdf

@Tractor Dave said in post that brake pads have only 2mm of friction material. Assuming when new the friction material thickness would have been 10mm - 12mm, then according to item 87 of the checklist they should have been replaced as they’re more than 70% worn. Again, the cynic in me would say it’s somewhat ironic that dealers have been known to recommend customers having their car’s brake pads changed when they’re 50% worn, yet they sell a car under the Approved Used scheme with pads that are 80% or more worn. Just saying………… :whistle:.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2024, 15:58 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl