Author Topic: VW golf 2013 Mk7 passenger rear window failure (electric ) mechanism noise  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Djmk4

• Just got here
Hi all

Anyone an expert on fixing window problems (rear) on a Mk6 or 7 (2013). VW golf ? Auto.

The passenger side rear (on the right ) has failed and the window is not going up or down . It sounds like electric mechanim inside is making a noise but there sounds like a crunching noise.  My first thoughts was has a bit of glass broken off or something and is causing the mechanism not to work ? She has a kid so I doubt she uses the window much .

If we were able to take the doorcard off how likely would it be to gain access to the issue? Or is it a complete faff to remove and is there any chance during a procedure breaking glass ?

https://youtu.be/Rhvve5KOuVs?feature=shared

Looking at some advise people so far are suggesting the window regulator has gone and possibly the plastic motor is the noise you can hear I the video?

Would be be an easy DIY fix or can it be a nightmare ? Iv read some comments on YouTube videos of people getting to a point in the l
Procedure where there glass broke trying to replace the regulator video.

Can anyone direct me to a decent YouTube video they have followed if they have done this procedure before ?

Garage will be parts approx £40-50 and 2 hours labour at £50

Offline je5343

• Just got here
I had the exact same issue on my 2014 Mk7 a few months ago, we found that the spool that winds the window up/down had rusted and jammed itself up. A new window regulator was £50-60 used from eBay.

We did it DIY, it took a couple of hours and little faffing but if you've got someone to assist holding the pane or some tape, I wouldn't be too worried about smashing it.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Hi all

Anyone an expert on fixing window problems (rear) on a Mk6 or 7 (2013). VW golf ? Auto.

The passenger side rear (on the right ) has failed and the window is not going up or down . It sounds like electric mechanim inside is making a noise but there sounds like a crunching noise.  My first thoughts was has a bit of glass broken off or something and is causing the mechanism not to work ? She has a kid so I doubt she uses the window much .

If we were able to take the doorcard off how likely would it be to gain access to the issue? Or is it a complete faff to remove and is there any chance during a procedure breaking glass ?

https://youtu.be/Rhvve5KOuVs?feature=shared

Looking at some advise people so far are suggesting the window regulator has gone and possibly the plastic motor is the noise you can hear I the video?

Would be be an easy DIY fix or can it be a nightmare ? Iv read some comments on YouTube videos of people getting to a point in the l
Procedure where there glass broke trying to replace the regulator video.

Can anyone direct me to a decent YouTube video they have followed if they have done this procedure before ?

Garage will be parts approx £40-50 and 2 hours labour at £50
Unless you are handy at fixing things I would let a professional do it. It’s the window regulator, that’s the wire you can hear chewing itself up. Happened to both rears on my gti and they were both hardly ever opened. If you are doing it yourself, buy genuine parts and get yourself a few clips also as you will break some. With the door cards off, might be a good time to check the speaker seals for any leaks and reseal as required. They are prone to failure and will leak.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Djmk4

• Just got here
Thanks can anyone recommend an online store to get the part from,? I don't think she will go second hand

Motor factors are charging the part at approx £95-£107 or upto £170

I can see there are online window reg stores selling at £40-50 but no idea if these stores or their regs are any good ?? Anyone used any of these stores and can reccomend ? If not I may have to get from a motor factors approx £100 and pay £100 for 2 hours labour at the garage

Offline madstaff

• I live here
In my experience non genuine window regulator mechanisms are crap.

You would be better off sourcing a genuine VW one off a damaged car, like this one for example - https://rb.gy/4v852v

Normally the crunching sound is because the cable has snapped and getting caught up in the spool mechanism.

Im not too sure about 5 dr models, always had 3 drs, but a possible cause is damp ingress from the rear speaker seals .
« Last Edit: 30 January 2024, 11:27 by madstaff »
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Djmk4

• Just got here
I'll grab one from the motor factors

Thanks

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
In my experience non genuine window regulator mechanisms are crap.

You would be better off sourcing a genuine VW one off a damaged car, like this one for example - https://rb.gy/4v852v

Normally the crunching sound is because the cable has snapped and getting caught up in the spool mechanism.

Im not too sure about 5 dr models, always had 3 drs, but a possible cause is damp ingress from the rear speaker seals .
Did I not say that above ??!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time

Thanks
Buy a genuine part, false  economy

Offline madstaff

• I live here
Did I not say that above ??!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry Carbon VW, skim reading whilst trying to work.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Top marks for your answer though, great minds and all that.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Djmk4

• Just got here

Thanks
Buy a genuine part, false  economy

To be honest the garage would only get it from the motor factors in most cases anyway..