Author Topic: Wheel bolt torque with tool kit wrench.  (Read 1013 times)

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
Wheel bolt torque with tool kit wrench.
« on: 28 January 2024, 12:17 »
Hi everyone, apologies for what is a very basic question that people on here do all the time. The only time I've ever taken a wheel off a car was when a colleague got a puncture whilst giving me a lift. We put the spare tyre on and I didn't have to deal with anything after that as it wasn't my car.

My question is, how easily can you achieve the required torque for the wheel bolts (something like 110/120 Nm according to the manual) with the wrench supplied in the tool kit? I want to take the wheels off to change the centre caps and give the whole wheel and brakes a good clean, but ofc want to ensure they're tightened correctly when put back on. Service is due in 900 miles, so I could just leave it until the day before that knowing that they'll be removed and put back on to the correct torque during the service, but would rather not wait if I don't have to! Equally I don't want to do 900 miles knowing they're not tightened correctly...
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: Wheel bolt torque with tool kit wrench.
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2024, 15:35 »
120nm really isn't that much but I've changed tyres a lot (while using a torque wrench), as a result I roughly know the correct pressure.

Unfortunately, I have to say you need to buy a torque wrench. It's not something to muck around with, as over tightening and under tightening can have severe consequences for both your own and others safety.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline GKR47

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2024, 15:43 »
Hi everyone, apologies for what is a very basic question that people on here do all the time. The only time I've ever taken a wheel off a car was when a colleague got a puncture whilst giving me a lift. We put the spare tyre on and I didn't have to deal with anything after that as it wasn't my car.

My question is, how easily can you achieve the required torque for the wheel bolts (something like 110/120 Nm according to the manual) with the wrench supplied in the tool kit? I want to take the wheels off to change the centre caps and give the whole wheel and brakes a good clean, but ofc want to ensure they're tightened correctly when put back on. Service is due in 900 miles, so I could just leave it until the day before that knowing that they'll be removed and put back on to the correct torque during the service, but would rather not wait if I don't have to! Equally I don't want to do 900 miles knowing they're not tightened correctly...

I dont think they will remove the wheels at service unless its necessary for a repair or fitting new brake components etc.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2024, 16:34 »
Definitely treat yourself to one even if it's just for doing up wheel bolts - the number of times I found bolts done up so tight after visiting garages on relatives cars they would have had zero chance of undoing them at the roadside...... also nothing like the satisfaction of the double 'click' knowing it's spot on.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2024, 16:43 »
Thanks all. Yeah nearly bought a torque wrench yesterday, definitely the way to go to do it properly, another tool for the ever-growing collection  :nerd:

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2024, 16:50 »
Something else to bear in mind when using a torque wrench, you do need to get it calibrated from time to time.

As my old teng one was considerably out (overtightening), swapped back to a draper I have and it's spot on.

You won't need to do it very often, but it's good practice.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2024, 17:17 »
Any recommendations on which wrench to get from your experiences?

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2024, 17:34 »
I'd get a Halfords advanced with the lifetime guarantee. £130 or £102 with trade discount if you know someone (it's pretty easy to get a trade card) if you're friendly with your local Halfords staff they'll probably give you one with limited questions.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/spanners-and-wrenches/halfords-advanced-torque-wrench-model-300-488729.html

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2024, 17:59 »
And don't leave the torque wrench set to 100Nm when not in use, wind it back off to zero.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2024, 18:04 »
I got lucky with a couple of eBay buys on two 1/2 " Norbar wrenches that I think came from an engineering company who were moving on to digital wrenches - covers me from 8Nm up to 200Nm.

I did like the look of the Parkside torque wrench sold in Lidl's which I think goes from 80-210 Nm.

« Last Edit: 29 January 2024, 13:16 by Rudedog »
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.