Author Topic: Wheel fitment, spacers etc  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Toad

• Not said much yet
Wheel fitment, spacers etc
« on: 20 January 2024, 16:34 »
Bonjour.

My Milton Keynes alloys have a bit of corrosion and lacquer peel, which is sad, but I'm looking to pick up some S3 alloys to go on, and probably act as winter wheels going forward. The audi wheels are et54 so I assume I'd need 5mm spacers to put the wheel track back to where it should be?

From what I've seen the 5mm spacers are not hub centric and I would need hub extenders and also longer bolts. Has anyone got any reccomendations on brands or products to use?

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Wheel fitment, spacers etc
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2024, 17:43 »
How wide are the Audi wheels?

Milton Keynes are 7.5J.
7.5 GTD

Offline Lima29

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2024, 19:45 »

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php

Try this link, I’ve found it a handy tool to give an idea of what things will look like when changing wheels.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2024, 21:03 »
I’ve had good experiences with both Bimecc and Eibach spacers in the past. I’d always look at using a well known brand for stuff like spacers, springs etc.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2024, 22:29 »
Bonjour.

My Milton Keynes alloys have a bit of corrosion and lacquer peel, which is sad, but I'm looking to pick up some S3 alloys to go on, and probably act as winter wheels going forward. The audi wheels are et54 so I assume I'd need 5mm spacers to put the wheel track back to where it should be?

From what I've seen the 5mm spacers are not hub centric and I would need hub extenders and also longer bolts. Has anyone got any reccomendations on brands or products to use?

Bonjour!

Assuming they’re old shape A3 alloys which will likely be 7.5J if they’re ET54?
I’d run 10mm spacers on them as a minimum, maybe as much as 20mm if you’re brave, the arches will accommodate them ok.
10mm realistically is the minimum safe size for hubcentric, you can buy 8mm hubcentric but the spigot area isn’t great on them and they’d lack strength where it matters.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Toad

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2024, 20:32 »
How wide are the Audi wheels?

Milton Keynes are 7.5J.

They are 7.5" too

Offline Toad

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2024, 20:34 »
Bonjour.

Bonjour!

Assuming they’re old shape A3 alloys which will likely be 7.5J if they’re ET54?
I’d run 10mm spacers on them as a minimum, maybe as much as 20mm if you’re brave, the arches will accommodate them ok.
10mm realistically is the minimum safe size for hubcentric, you can buy 8mm hubcentric but the spigot area isn’t great on them and they’d lack strength where it matters.

Yep, you are correct.

When you say 10mm spacers minimum, is that for aesthetics, or as you would be concerned about rubbing/clearance with the suspension?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2024, 21:57 »
Not for aesthetics as they’d make little visual difference to 8mm, but as I said above, the lip/spigot going into the wheel of an 8mm hubcentric would leave so little metal at its joint with the spacer’s disc where the actual hub pokes through the spacer that there would be minimal strength in it so could easily shear.
The hub carries the weight of the vehicle so needs to be pretty robust, the wheel bolts just hold the wheel to the load bearing hub - so you need a strong lip/spigot joint on the spacer, 10mm would give you an extra 2mm of metal on that joint where the bore locating lip/spigot pokes out.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jace

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2024, 11:20 »
Have a look in the classified section, I have 2 different width spacers I'm selling 5mm or 15mm, all inc the correct longer bolts

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=290266.0

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=289844.0

I'm open to sensible offers on them too 👍
2018 Golf R 7.5 Estate > Full Revo stg2 set up

Offline Toad

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2024, 16:21 »
Definitely interested in the spacers, but can't message you till I've got 10 posts.
Have a look in the classified section, I have 2 different width spacers I'm selling 5mm or 15mm, all inc the correct longer bolts

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=290266.0

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=289844.0

I'm open to sensible offers on them too 👍