Author Topic: Lowering Springs  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Chuds1

• Just got here
Lowering Springs
« on: 12 January 2024, 03:09 »
Hi All,

I have just picked up my new to me MK7 Golf GTI and I am looking into fitting a set of lowering springs.

Has anyone had any experience of these Prosport springs.

https://prosportperformance.co.uk/spring-kits/662/prosport-50-40mm-lowering-springs-golf-mk7-gti-gtd-121383-detail%20-id

Would be interested to hear your thoughts and any pics of them on a MK7.

Thanks for your help.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Re: Lowering Springs
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2024, 08:26 »
I've just had a quick scan through some of the Facebook groups and a few people have used them without issues from what I can see. Although they do specify they only ran them for about a year before changing to other things, not because of the springs but moved to coilovers or air ride etc.

I'd assume they'd be absolutely fine if you're on a budget, might be worth checking things like Autodoc for discounts on Eibach/H&R/Vogtland as well?
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2024, 10:02 »
Is a 40/50mm drop not a lot to put onto the standard shocks? If it were me I'd be looking to get corresponding lowered shocks to go with them, rather than wear out the standard components.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2024, 12:10 »
Does seem like an excessive drop when most others are 25/30mm.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2024, 13:51 »
Ive had H&R springs on a Mk2 16v and Eibach on a Mk2 8v with no issues at all.

Personally, i would avoid lesser known makes and stick with people like H&R and Eibach, they are well known suspension manufacturers and their products are top notch.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2024, 13:54 »
Ive had H&R springs on a Mk2 16v and Eibach on a Mk2 8v with no issues at all.

Personally, i would avoid lesser known makes and stick with people like H&R and Eibach, they are well known suspension manufacturers and their products are top notch.
This would be my vote also, right now Autodoc have Eibach springs on offer for about £160, I'd rather spend the extra £60 for a well known quality brand. In fact, I think I might even order myself a set right now...  :grin:
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2024, 16:01 »
Is a 40/50mm drop not a lot to put onto the standard shocks? If it were me I'd be looking to get corresponding lowered shocks to go with them, rather than wear out the standard components.

Absolutely this.

I’ve done many suspension kits in the past from just springs to spring and damper set ups, and a properly matched set is well worth the money - buy cheap, buy twice!
A dramatic drop will soon kill a set of standard shockers on our crappy roads and certainly won’t allow the dampers to damp properly, in fact they’ll soon be damp on the outside and an MOT fail!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Chuds1

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2024, 03:12 »
Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated. I think your right probably better to stick to the better known brands and not go for such a big drop on standard shocks.

I'll have a look on Autodoc and see if I can find the Eibach springs for £160.

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2024, 09:28 »
AS far as I am concerned it makes sense to go with a recognised, approved product for slightly more initial cost.

A major factor in that is only to do the job once, even if you Diy the spring change, it is time and hassle to replace them.
If you pay someone else, the prospect of paying to have the job done twice and probably another geo check/adjustment, means the labour would likely cost more than the springs?