Author Topic: Turbo Upgrade  (Read 1179 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Turbo Upgrade
« on: 02 May 2021, 15:07 »
So we all know the MK7 GTi Turbo is made of chocolate, has anyone had there Turbo upgraded at all?, if so what are the gains?, I have Turbo Dynamics near me whom I sure can do an upgrade but want to know it is worth it?, cheers :kiss:

MK7 GTi

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
Re: Turbo Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2021, 15:15 »
The stock is20 is alright and can make some relatively decent power for its size.
Have a look into Littco turbos if you're on the market for an upgrade.

The L380x is a stronger and more efficient is38 equivalent which retains a large powerband and can also make good power.
They also have larger variants but with the long ratios on the GTI it tends to be a little pointless to only have peak power.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2021, 16:29 »
Thanks for the advise, I was thinking if Turbo Dynamics could do a re work on the original, but would that not get any gains?, my map is great but the power tends to die out higher up the rev range

MK7 GTi

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2021, 18:55 »
I wouldn't see any point on modifying/building a hybrid is20, the overall housing is small and limiting.
They spool fast but will still fall off up top even if you had to modify the is20.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2021, 19:37 »
I wouldn't see any point on modifying/building a hybrid is20, the overall housing is small and limiting.
They spool fast but will still fall off up top even if you had to modify the is20.

Thanks, so what is the best turbo to fit to get gains?

MK7 GTi

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2021, 11:30 »
Always thought the turbo's were good on these cars. I'm on 85k now and it's still going strong.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2021, 11:39 »
So we all know the MK7 GTi Turbo is made of chocolate, has anyone had there Turbo upgraded at all?, if so what are the gains?, I have Turbo Dynamics near me whom I sure can do an upgrade but want to know it is worth it?, cheers :kiss:

Made of chocolate ? Please elaborate. I’m on 160km and am stage 1 on original turbo. Clutch is made of chocolate but how so the turbo ?? :shocked: :rolleyes:
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2021, 11:47 »
The stock is20 is stout, they can make decent power and are super responsive.

A factory is38 however I wouldn't push too hard as they have a tendency to break at high boost.

What are the goals? A drag car? Something to rip around country roads? And power goals?
On stock fuel system I've managed to make 400hp with just a Littco L380x, downpipe and front mount cooler.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2021, 11:55 »
The stock is20 is stout, they can make decent power and are super responsive.

A factory is38 however I wouldn't push too hard as they have a tendency to break at high boost.

Just something that pulls a little better, would a mk7.5 turbo fit?. Would that see gains?

What are the goals? A drag car? Something to rip around country roads? And power goals?
On stock fuel system I've managed to make 400hp with just a Littco L380x, downpipe and front mount cooler.

MK7 GTi