Author Topic: Fluid info please!  (Read 2639 times)

Offline ccsgti

• Not said much yet
Fluid info please!
« on: 30 April 2021, 16:10 »
Hi Gents,

I have a 2013 GTI PP on 47k, and I am performing a full service. I need to know the following:

Manual Transmission oil capacity - and potential part number for OEM oil?

VAQ Diff oil capacity and oil part number.

Cant seem to find it anywhere!

Thanks in advance

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Fluid info please!
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2021, 14:08 »
Why are you changing  the gearbox oil ? It’s lifetime fluid. It’s 2.3litres capacity G 052 527 02 is the OEM spec
« Last Edit: 02 May 2021, 14:14 by Carbon VW »
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline ccsgti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2021, 19:17 »
Why are you changing  the gearbox oil ? It’s lifetime fluid. It’s 2.3litres capacity G 052 527 02 is the OEM spec

Thank you. Reason is preventative maintenance. Nothing more.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2021, 19:28 »

I remember previous cars with ‘lifetime fluids’ - need to define ‘lifetime’, after 100k, the transfer and diff. oil was a horrible dark brown and the AT fluid equally horrible. Car never abused. Totally agree with the preventative maintenance concept.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2021, 21:38 »
I never said transfer oil, or automatic transmission oil or VAQ diff oil was lifetime.
I just don’t see the point of changing the tranny oil in the M6F box but each to their own.

Offline ccsgti

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2021, 10:11 »
I never said transfer oil, or automatic transmission oil or VAQ diff oil was lifetime.
I just don’t see the point of changing the tranny oil in the M6F box but each to their own.

I had a Civic Type-R with lifetime gearbox fluid, it was crunchy when cold and way too notchy. Changed the oil (car was on 70k) and it was like a new gearbox.

I had a Subaru Impreza STI, same again, lifetime fluid, car was on 90k and once the oil was changed shifting gears was a million miles better.

I don't want my golf going that way so i'll change the oil!

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2021, 11:27 »

I remember previous cars with ‘lifetime fluids’ - need to define ‘lifetime’, after 100k, the transfer and diff. oil was a horrible dark brown and the AT fluid equally horrible. Car never abused. Totally agree with the preventative maintenance concept.

Manufacturers definition of "lifetime fluids" tends to lean towards the warranty period being the vehicles "lifetime". Certainly no fluids that work forever on a car without being serviced/changed.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2021, 12:01 »

Manufacturers definition of "lifetime fluids" tends to lean towards the warranty period being the vehicles "lifetime". Certainly no fluids that work forever on a car without being serviced/changed.
The OP quoted the car has 45k miles. No way that gearbox needs an oil change. My motto for manual gearboxes is not to fix it if it aint broke. There are horror stories online about introducing problems into the system by changing the fluid.
If i notice gearshift notchy or not what it should be then I would change it, otherwise leave it be. And im OCD about all the other fluids, I change the oil in mine every 10k km.