Author Topic: Maybe the future isn’t just R badged...  (Read 2385 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Maybe the future isn’t just R badged...
« Reply #20 on: 29 April 2021, 18:43 »
EVeconomy (miles per kWh) fall off a cliff as you go over 70.

BTW this is true for ICE too.... its because drag is an exponential curve.

There is a reason why during the Arab oil crisis of the 20th century that the USA introduced a 56mph speed limit and why commercial vehicles even now are speed restricted to 56mph.

I used to note how 75mph on the motorway in my GTD was significantly worse than 67mph in terms of fuel economy. The latter could deliver almost 60mpg, the former maybe 48mpg. That's a 20% saving. from a 10% speed reduction.

My journey of 100 miles in theory takes a few more minutes too. Slightly higher motorway speeds really don't offer a lot of time gain unless you are seriously stepping on it. The non-motorway parts of the journey are likely to be more variable and could easily with a roll of the dice offset your full afterburner run down the motorway.

And I've done this a lot.... and experimented a lot.

The main difference is, most of us have bought GTDs/GTIs/Rs with a bigger interesr In what mpg is sat at 80mph. I suppose in my ID3, when I get on Octopus GO and am paying 1.5p a mile at 70mph, I'm not going to be bothered if I'm paying 2p a mile because I'm doing 80mph. It's going to matter when I'm doing journeys long enough to maybe need to stop and fast charge on the way home. If I can get all the way home without stopping to charge if I do 70mph rather than 80mph, there's nothing to be gained in doing 80 and stopping for 15-30 mins. For me it'll be a convenience in not stopping that'll drive me to religiously stick to 70 on a borderline range journey.

I'll have that dilemma on pick-up. 240 miles on a theoretical 263 mile range - if the dealership charge the car to 100% rather than 80%. If I were to trundle on at 60mph I'll almost certainly make it home, if I do 70 it'll be touch and go, if I do 80, I'll definitely need to stop.
air con off, lights off, radio off and drive home in your pants you should be ok 🤣
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 29 April 2021, 18:51 »
air con off, lights off, radio off and drive home in your pants you should be ok 🤣

Hoping for a warmish day to help the battery, but not so warm that I need the aircon - about 17C will do nicely. I'm guessing a week on Monday to pick up. Listers Group have a central site where cars arrive and get PDI'd, then they go to the individual dealers thereafter to handover to customers.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 29 April 2021, 22:43 »

Hoping for a warmish day to help the battery, but not so warm that I need the aircon - about 17C will do nicely. I'm guessing a week on Monday to pick up. Listers Group have a central site where cars arrive and get PDI'd, then they go to the individual dealers thereafter to handover to customers.
Yes. It’s in Stratford On Avon. I have been there a few times with the salesman from Nuneaton to check my cars before I pick them up. You would never guess what lies the other side of the gates from the road. Very covert
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA