Author Topic: GTI (manual) on it's way  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: GTI (manual) on it's way
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2021, 22:04 »
Good to see there are still a few ordering manual gearboxes :afro:
I just hope the mk8 doesn’t suffer the horrid throttle dead spot like the mk7 manuals.

Was this a complaint specifically with the manual? I thought it was more of an annoyance for those with DSG?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2021, 22:26 »
Aside from running a TCR that didn’t feel hugely different with a pedalbox fitted I don’t have any relevant experience with DSG mk7’s.
With the manuals I had a big issue with throttle sensitivity (lack of).
I’ve done about a zillion posts on the subject so won’t drag through it all again here.
As a 205 GTI owner you’ll appreciate throttle response better than anyone and that was what the pedalbox provides for a mk7 (or mk8) manual car.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2021, 23:55 »
I love the immediate throttle response in my 205.

I think I’m happy with the response in my golf, too. It’s a much more powerful car and as time gas gone on I’ve been less and less bothered by the slightly dull initial response- in fact i wonder if changing the mapping to sharpen this up would make it less pleasant to drive in slow moving urban traffic.

I’m still undecided on the issue of whether it would be better with a pedal box. Just have your foot a little way down in anticipation of a manoeuvre, and the throttle response is incredibly good- I think this is easier with a manual box.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 25 April 2021, 07:56 »
I love the immediate throttle response in my 205.

I think I’m happy with the response in my golf, too. It’s a much more powerful car and as time gas gone on I’ve been less and less bothered by the slightly dull initial response- in fact i wonder if changing the mapping to sharpen this up would make it less pleasant to drive in slow moving urban traffic.

I’m still undecided on the issue of whether it would be better with a pedal box. Just have your foot a little way down in anticipation of a manoeuvre, and the throttle response is incredibly good- I think this is easier with a manual box.

Also not wanting to go too far down the pedalbox debate but I would say it was the single best thing I did to my MK7 manual, it made for a much more satisfying drive and was absolutely fine in all conditions as your foot very quickly adapts to it. Made the car feel alive.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 25 April 2021, 09:01 »

Also not wanting to go too far down the pedalbox debate but I would say it was the single best thing I did to my MK7 manual, it made for a much more satisfying drive and was absolutely fine in all conditions as your foot very quickly adapts to it. Made the car feel alive.

Precisely this.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner