Author Topic: GTI Incoming  (Read 7197 times)

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
Re: GTI Incoming
« Reply #10 on: 22 April 2021, 23:19 »
Yes, I had mixed feelings about buying a black car, I've owned several in the past and they are always a real pain to keep clean. White or Silver, in my experience, is much easier to keep on top off.

In fact, I told the dealer that I wasn't that keen on black but he said that's all we have at the moment and, if you don't like it, we'll source something else for you. But, the crafty sod knew what he was doing because, as soon as I laid my eyes on it, that was it. It was pure love... or lust!  :grin: It helped, too, that I got such a marvellous deal and they have also offered to Supagard, free of charge, which might help.

As you say, I can't wait to get behind the wheel next week.  :cool:
« Last Edit: 22 April 2021, 23:23 by Sniffer »
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 23 April 2021, 00:41 »
Yes, I had mixed feelings about buying a black car, I've owned several in the past and they are always a real pain to keep clean. White or Silver, in my experience, is much easier to keep on top off.

In fact, I told the dealer that I wasn't that keen on black but he said that's all we have at the moment and, if you don't like it, we'll source something else for you. But, the crafty sod knew what he was doing because, as soon as I laid my eyes on it, that was it. It was pure love... or lust!  :grin: It helped, too, that I got such a marvellous deal and they have also offered to Supagard, free of charge, which might help.

Congrats on the new car.  Not sure I would want a dealer applying a coating, though.  Especially on a black car.  Personally, I would advise telling them to leave it and using some of the cash saved to have a proper detailer ceramic coat it.  A dealer won't spend the time to provide anywhere near the required level of care in the preparation of the paint to receive the coating and will very likely do more harm to the paint than the coating will save.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 23 April 2021, 08:33 »

Congrats on the new car.  Not sure I would want a dealer applying a coating, though.  Especially on a black car.  Personally, I would advise telling them to leave it and using some of the cash saved to have a proper detailer ceramic coat it.  A dealer won't spend the time to provide anywhere near the required level of care in the preparation of the paint to receive the coating and will very likely do more harm to the paint than the coating will save.

100% agree with this. I wouldn’t let a dealer apply a paint protection product to my car, even if they were doing it for free. The dealer won’t do any of the required prep work - they’re likely to just do a single bucket wash with a sponge, dry off with a wash leather and slap on the Superguard product.

To do the job properly probably takes 2+ days. The dealer will spend no more than a couple of hours doing it.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 23 April 2021, 10:19 »
Normally, I'd agree with you gents but my dealership knows my standards and I trust them too. The job is going to take 2 days, which is why I'm not taking delivery until the middle of next week. I did think about going the full hog and applying ceramic but it's because I trust them, and I have heard so many alarming reports about "spotting" with ceramic finish that I decided to go down the dealer route.

BTW, this dealership used the same treatment on my Tornado Red 7.5 GTI and, even when the car was over two years old, I had "experts" asking if I had just had it waxed, and my local foam car valeter never ceased to be amazed at how good the finish looked after he had hosed off the foam.  He never once needed to apply any wax in 2.5 years.

I hope, though, my trust is not misplaced.
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2021, 14:33 »
Just had a call from the dealers  :angry:

The car I “bought” had also been sold by another dealer, so they’re now offering me a different motor:

Original: Reflex Silver, DSG, Winter Pack, Reversing camera
Offer: Dolphin Grey DSG, Winter Pack, Digital Key, Heads Up Display

For about £8 a month more.

Digital key useless as only works on Android phones, and not bothered by HUD

Not keen on dolphin grey from the photos I’ve seen on auto trader either, so might be no new motor for now  :undecided:
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 23 April 2021, 14:46 »
Thats no fun  :cry:

I'd pass, particularly on Dolphin Grey - i know some probably love it but not me.

Digital key is useless, HUD is really only useful for mile munchers (like me in the "normal world")

But yes, Digital key+HUD is more money than Reversing Camera.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 23 April 2021, 15:00 »
Yeah, going to pass.

Interestingly, I had a similar situation when I got my 7.5 GTI.  They sold me a factory order the day after VW stopped selling the standard GTIs (perf pack only).  Thankfully after some dramas they managed to source one outside of their group.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline SCourtney

• Just got here
« Reply #17 on: 23 April 2021, 15:11 »
Snap!

I've had the car over a month now - fabulous to drive and no s/w issues apart from the temp sync issue (I can live with that)!

Current: MK 8 GTI Deep Black

Gone: MK 7.5 GTI red
Gone: MK 5 GTI red

Online JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 23 April 2021, 15:15 »
Another Irish one, very nice  :cool:
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Online JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 23 April 2021, 15:17 »
Yeah, going to pass.

Interestingly, I had a similar situation when I got my 7.5 GTI.  They sold me a factory order the day after VW stopped selling the standard GTIs (perf pack only).  Thankfully after some dramas they managed to source one outside of their group.

I'm not sure about Dolphin grey either. It's looked good in some photos I've seen but I've seen it in the metal on a Tiguan and a couple of standard Golfs and it looked very flat to me. Too dull... one of those colours that needs blazing sunshine to look good imo.

Indium grey on the 7.5 was far nicer than either of the current greys imo.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.