Author Topic: Stop start stopped  (Read 5377 times)

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
Stop start stopped
« on: 21 April 2021, 09:50 »
Car has covered 8k and is 4 years old. Stop/start has not kicked in over the 500 miles I’ve driven so far. I did see low voltage warning on the dash once but plugged into ctek for 48 hrs on recon mode and not seen that warning again. Everything else works fine, just no stop start. Is this likely due to battery being too low. I can find a message on dash that says ‘power consumption is high’

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
Re: Stop start stopped
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2021, 10:29 »
I think this is caused by the battery, I changed my battery over the winter and had noticed the same thing as you. Once I changed the Stop/Start continued working again
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2021, 10:33 »
At 4 years old if it's the original battery then chances are the battery is on its way out. When I bought my car it had a flat battery and had to be jump started for a test drive, there were loads of fault codes when they were checked and it was a few days after I took the car away before the stop/start kicked in. If I were you I'd start looking at battery deals....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2021, 11:57 »
The car has done very little mileage  over these last few years.  Possibly if you were able to get out more often the battery may not have  lost its effectiveness  as easily these cars are meant to be driven

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2021, 17:31 »
Oh cr*p :shocked:. I realised the other day that my stop/start hasn't worked once in the past 2 months. I have a van for work so the cars used mostly on the weekend for a few 20 min drives and has been since owning it.

Is there any way to check the battery level without owning an OBD11 or similar??
Will buy one asap I think, in case I need to program a new battery and check the charge etc

Edit// Also, can anyone confirm if I need an OBD11 Pro to setup a new battery or is a standard OBD11 ok??. Not sure if the long coding feature of the Pro is required or not
« Last Edit: 21 April 2021, 17:34 by Lordie »

Offline oryx3dr

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2021, 10:00 »
As far as I'm aware if you're replacing the battery you shouldn't need to do anything. I replaced mine with a Euro Car Parts AGM and it worked fine, no need for coding.
Current - 2020 Black Golf GTI Performance Pack DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Climate Windscreen, Brescia's
Sold - 2017 MK7 Oryx White 3dr GTI
Sold - 2019 Up GTI

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2021, 10:08 »
You have to code the car simply so that it knows it has to charge a different battery - type, charging rate, speed etc

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2021, 10:36 »
You have to code the car simply so that it knows it has to charge a different battery - type, charging rate, speed etc

Easy to do? Looks like my original battery might be on its way out  :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2021, 10:45 »
Before anyone goes and gets a new battery, go get a free battery health check at Halfords. It will give you a percentage reading of how healthy it is.

https://www.halfords.com/car-repairs/car-checks/free-battery-health-check-PRODUCTBATTERY.html
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2021, 12:33 »
VW are charging £260 to supply and fit the battery here with coding. Seems to be the same price everywhere in the network. ECP are even more expensive £200 plus for the battery with discount. Cheapest option is Halfords but they are proving painful to deal with. Halfords brand batteries made by Yuasa. I’m going to try and get one fitted by them I’m the morning. Quantity varies wildly store to store