Author Topic: 19” Adelaide alloys  (Read 6711 times)

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
Re: 19” Adelaide alloys
« Reply #20 on: 12 January 2021, 11:46 »
great, thanks

Out of curiosity, what does this mean?
MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 12 January 2021, 12:20 »
Basically it's the amount of rolling resistance / drag. The lower the figure the less drag you have. You may have noticed a few years ago F1 cars had a trend for putting hub caps over the surface of the wheel to reduce drag. It's a similar thing to what lots of electric cars have now.
7.5 GTD

Offline buttons

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2021, 12:23 »
thanks - knowledge is power!! ha :grin:
MK8 GTi: Adelaide 19", DCC, Winter Pack, Rear Camera and sh!t loads of software issues! ;-)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2021, 13:20 »
Yes, as Guzzle says, it’s to do with declaring drag figures as it’ll affect vehicle taxation in some markets.

I think the Adelaide is a very clever and quite attractive design out of the box. The thin polished highlights make the spokes look way longer than they actually are creating an illusion of the wheels being huge!

Painting them one flat colour will make them look ‘not quite right’ and take away that athletic look, replacing it with quite a heavy looking design that would probably look very Skoda or Audi-ish.

There are literally hundreds of aftermarket designs out there but whether many will suit the very rounded off mk8 shape is down to personal taste.
Personally I’ve gone for replica VW wheels which normally I’d have been dead against, but I wanted an OEM look and didn’t want to spend a fortune having had several expensive factory wheels go out of shape due to pothole damage in the dark despite being über careful. The reps are cheap and if they break I won’t be massively upset. If I get bored of them or something better comes along it won’t cost a fortune to change. Plus I like to experiment a bit.

A very good point made about the replica hub badges not matching the new VW design but they’re small enough not to be too obvious unless you have severe car OCD issues. Unfortunately I do so I’m hoping the Chinese will be quick to get their act together  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 13 January 2021, 12:48 »

Are there any Photoshop gurus here?
Taking on board what people are saying AND the fact i cant picture things, im now second guessing my decision to repaint....
Im torn between re-painting OEM allows silver or buying aftermarket.

I like 5 spoke alloys as they are classic, they could be OEM wheel

These wheels look great and I wouldn't call them black? And certainly would have been re-done in silver!

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline vwspursldn

• Just got here
« Reply #25 on: 28 January 2021, 07:21 »
Just ordered a new GTI with the richmonds. If anyone is selling the adelaides please let me know.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 28 January 2021, 08:01 »
Just ordered a new GTI with the richmonds. If anyone is selling the adelaides please let me know.

As per your post in the ‘aftermarket wheels’ discussion topic, if you’ve just ordered it and if it’s a factory order rather than an in-stock car, it’s probably not been allocated a confirmed build week yet. If so, you ought to be able to change your wheel choice without jeopardising you delivery date.

Worth speaking to your dealer.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline vwspursldn

• Just got here
« Reply #27 on: 28 January 2021, 14:06 »

As per your post in the ‘aftermarket wheels’ discussion topic, if you’ve just ordered it and if it’s a factory order rather than an in-stock car, it’s probably not been allocated a confirmed build week yet. If so, you ought to be able to change your wheel choice without jeopardising you delivery date.

Worth speaking to your dealer.

Thanks for responding to me mate. Unfortunately it’s a stock vehicle, so it will come with the standard richmonds but there’s no harm in me still speaking to the dealer. Cheers.

Offline Sniffer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 04 May 2021, 19:02 »
Does anyone know the proper name for the "winglets", which are attached to the Mk8's fitted with the 19" wheels?

The reason I ask is there is a zero cost item on my invoice labelled "UG", which is listed directly beneath the Adelaides and Sports Suspension, and the only thing I could think of is the winglets. The salesman couldn't explain and it's really bothering me because, if I am getting something for nothing, I like to know what it is.  :smiley:
Long Since: 1981-84 Mk1 Golf GTI (Black);
Long Since: 1984-86 Mk 2 Golf GTI (White);
Long Since: 1986-88 Scirocco GTX (Graphite)
Gap - The Sensible Years (Mostly)
Gone: 2016-18 Mk 7 Golf GT TDI; (Silver)
Gone: 2018-20 Mk7.5 Golf GTI DSG (Red)
Gone: 2020 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (White)
Gone: 2021 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Pearl Black),19"Adelaides, Sports Susp and Winter Pack.
2024 - Mk 8 Golf GTI DSG (Kings Red), 19" Adelaides, Sports Susp, Winter Pack & Rear View Camera.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 04 May 2021, 20:12 »
Does anyone know the proper name for the "winglets", which are attached to the Mk8's fitted with the 19" wheels?

The reason I ask is there is a zero cost item on my invoice labelled "UG", which is listed directly beneath the Adelaides and Sports Suspension, and the only thing I could think of is the winglets. The salesman couldn't explain and it's really bothering me because, if I am getting something for nothing, I like to know what it is.  :smiley:

I think they’re officially known as wheel arch spoilers or wheel arch lip spoilers.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl