Author Topic: Noisy drive shaft / CV joints  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Dawson

• Just got here
Noisy drive shaft / CV joints
« on: 15 August 2020, 16:46 »
2002 1.8T GTi 150BHP (apparently)

Over the last month or so had a clunking sound from front passenger side, most noticeable at slower speeds when there is a change in momentum, and also possible when turning the steering wheel to the right.

I'm not an engineer, I work in health care.

Garage replaced a track rod end but can't find anything else wrong. They say the the anti-roll mechanism squeeks a bit, but they are not worried about that and are fearful if they try to get to it other stuff will brake and it will end up costing me a fortune.

I've jacked it up today and put it on bricks and had a nosey myself as it doesn't sound healthy. I took a video of the wheel and the drive shaft to the front passanger wheel, and looking in my Haynes I think there seems a lot of play and noise from the enginge end of that drive shaft. Can someonw with some knowledge have a look a tthe video and say if the noise / play in this region is normal or not, and if this is the likely cause of the issue. I can't see how to upload a video to my post so dumped the video on DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s6q6gkjyrqf9o6s/IMG_5244.MOV?dl=0

Many thanks for any help offered, and ideas of cost to fix. At some point I just need to get a new car!

James
Nottingham

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: Noisy drive shaft / CV joints
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2020, 18:17 »
Hi James

I had a similar situation with my Mk4...it started out as a small click sound as I moved off from a stop and gradually got worse over the following year. I put her up on jacks and gave both drive shafts a good wiggle...left hand side was nice and tight, but the other one had quite a bit of play on both ends. I replaced the bad side with a complete unit and all is good now. I seem to recall that it cost me somewhere in the region of 110 quid, but a fair bit of that was postage.

Hope that steers you in the right direction.

eg.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2511705.m570.l1313&_nkw=Golf+MK4+drive+shafts&_sacat=131090
« Last Edit: 15 August 2020, 19:27 by bgbazz »
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.