Author Topic: Insurance again!  (Read 7545 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Insurance again!
« Reply #30 on: 22 July 2020, 18:47 »
Think I might have sorted mine now for £400. Honestly no competitive quotes at all. Nightmare this year.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 22 July 2020, 19:24 »
£400 to insure an R doesn't seem too bad to me. I pay that for my GTD! That said, I do pay for quite a few add-ons. Not all insurance is equal.
7.5 GTD

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 22 July 2020, 20:33 »
£400 to insure an R doesn't seem too bad to me. I pay that for my GTD! That said, I do pay for quite a few add-ons. Not all insurance is equal.

My R was £11 a year cheaper to insure than my GTD, with the same insurer.

For some people, the GTD is the quicker car - you can completely rag it and still get 40mpg whereas some people will nurse an R to get 32mpg.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 22 July 2020, 20:58 »

For some people, the GTD is the quicker car - you can completely rag it and still get 40mpg whereas some people will nurse an R to get 32mpg.

That may well be true, although i'd expect the R to be more attractive to the light-fingered brigade. And they won't care about nursing it to get 32mpg.
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 23 July 2020, 14:31 »

I’m not complaining at £400 but normally there’s a few similar offers. Not this time though. Insurance includes courtesy car, legal cover, no claims protection, 9k miles per year but £500 compulsory excess.

The GTD is definitely the quicker car.  :laugh:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #35 on: 05 August 2020, 18:00 »
Pleasantly surprised only a jump of 10quid from last year  325 with 200quid voluntary excess

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 05 August 2020, 18:07 »
No pleasant surprises for me so far, mine is due at the end of the month and quotes so far are pretty high, about double in 5 years. Haven't had my renewal yet, a phone conversation on that will be had tomorrow.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 05 August 2020, 19:12 »
As a retired insurance broker, I try to keep off comments about insurance.  However, I noticed today that Direct Line are granting a special dividend to investors due to the reduced claims exposure resulting from Covid.

This won’t be the last such action from motor insurers. I find it utterly reprehensible that the pain is shared by the punters and the cream is shared by the fat cats.

There, Ive broken my own omertà and gone and done it!

Two other things....I still use a local broker to get me the best deal and echoing an earlier post “ not all insurance is the same”.
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline TippEx

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 06 August 2020, 11:33 »
Just had my renewal quote in from LV, up from £582 to £627.  I know that the stage 1 remap and suspension changes to the car put the premium up by around £100.  This is based on 15000 miles a year and covers it for business as well as SDP.  I also get Euro cover on it so good value as far as I am concerned even if the rise is more than I would like.  Having said that the premium actually went down the previous year so if I average the rise in insurance over the life of the car then not a big change.  I've been with the same insurer for a few years now as no one has gotten close for me on like for like cover with modifications even though I do always check on renewal.

In reality the cost is going to go down for me this year as there will be no way that I am doing 15000 a year anymore.  So lowering the miles to 9000 a year and putting a £100 voluntary excess on it (£400 total excess) has got the cost down to £520 a year for me.  Would have been £565 without lowering the excess.  I generally don't crash my cars so happy with upping this slightly.
2016 GTI PP.  Mountune52 Stage 1

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 06 August 2020, 11:40 »
Finalised negotiations now, existing insurer (via a broker) started off at £180 increase on last year (admittedly I did change my car half way through) but after a few minor adjustments and some other quotes being considered I'm at £536, about £60 up on last year. In 2015 when I bought my PP it was around £300....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.