Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 654376 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #2120 on: 07 December 2014, 19:20 »
I've often toyed with the idea of winter wheels and tyres.  I also have a poor track record when it comes to kerbing alloys but ironically never happened in winter, always inflicted in good weather  :huh:

I know it's not all about snow, but last winter was so mild here, winter wheels weren't really warranted, and the Conti sport 5s have been brilliant for last 2 winters.  For a summer tyre they are surprisingly good in winter, even performed well in snowy conditions.

Same couldn't be said of the awful tyres on my old mk5 which were so bad I once had to abandon it at the side of the road after skidding in snow and getting stuck.  I really should have stuck winters on that  :whistle:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2121 on: 07 December 2014, 19:25 »
Hmm might just risk it, I need new tyres anyway, if it gets that bad ill take the company AWD van ....

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2122 on: 07 December 2014, 19:31 »
Maybe I should build a garage to be able to wash my cars indoors like canadians do.  :undecided: or maybe I should just spend less time on www.garagejournal.com  forum  :laugh:

One look at that garage forum is enough to tell me that's a dangerous place to be lurking if I want to keep any tiny amount of my payslip!

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2123 on: 07 December 2014, 19:34 »
On another note away from winter wheels & tyres i managed to get both the MK6 & MK7 cleaned today. (Y)

I'm still not sold on the MK7, but I would be biased to the MK6 as its my baby. Still a good Sunday well spent.  :laugh:

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2124 on: 07 December 2014, 19:37 »
Maybe I should build a garage to be able to wash my cars indoors like canadians do.  :undecided: or maybe I should just spend less time on www.garagejournal.com  forum  :laugh:

One look at that garage forum is enough to tell me that's a dangerous place to be lurking if I want to keep any tiny amount of my payslip!

having a double garage today was a saviour as i managed to just wash and nearly finished drying before the heavens opened, in the garage it went to be finished off.

Offline ttdan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2125 on: 07 December 2014, 20:02 »
On another note away from winter wheels & tyres i managed to get both the MK6 & MK7 cleaned today. (Y)

I'm still not sold on the MK7, but I would be biased to the MK6 as its my baby. Still a good Sunday well spent.  :laugh:

This is the mk6 forum after all but, yes, 6 is a prettier car. 7 nicer on the inside. Buddy of mine has a 7r, doesnt get away from mine in the dry but in the damp....different planet and its a cracking place to sit. ugly though  :laugh:

Offline Obbzi

• I live here
« Reply #2126 on: 07 December 2014, 20:05 »
I Fitted new discs and pads to the front on Monday and got it serviced on Friday. Was told I need 2 new rear tyres, I have a slight oil leak coming from neat the turbo that needs further investigation and the low brake pad level dash warning keeps coming on and it is possibly a dodgy wire loom  :cry: :cry: :cry:
2008 R32 DBP gone. 2008 GT TDI going 2009 GTI coming soon!

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2127 on: 07 December 2014, 20:08 »

This is the mk6 forum after all but, yes, 6 is a prettier car. 7 nicer on the inside. Buddy of mine has a 7r, doesnt get away from mine in the dry but in the damp....different planet and its a cracking place to sit. ugly though  :laugh:

You are right the 6 still turns heads and sounds better under strain, maybe thats because the 7 isn't ran in yet with 200 miles on it.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2128 on: 07 December 2014, 20:32 »
Vwhitehawk
Ive got to ask.. how bigs your garage? As it looks a nice width.
It looks alot wider than mine, id struggle to fit a mk7 next to my mk6 i think, as mines only 19ft4 which is just less than 6M.

The mk7 exterior is starting to grow on me but unlike others here I still prefer the mk6 interior especially the seats.

Obbzi
Have a look at my old oil leak thread it may help you. I need to take another look at mine, im gkad you reminded me.

« Last Edit: 07 December 2014, 20:38 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline VWhitehawk

• GTI forum regular
  • Candy White 2009 GTI
« Reply #2129 on: 07 December 2014, 20:38 »
Vwhitehawk
Ive git to ask.. how bigs your garage? As it looks a nice width.

The mk7 is starting to grow on me but unlike others here I still prefer the mk6 interior especially the seats.

Obbzi
Have a look at my old oil leak thread it may help you. I need to take another look at mine, im gkad you reminded me.

I think its 18ft x 18ft, it makes hell of a difference being able to get both cars away, saves time on a lot of scraping and all the cleaning gear is easy to get to.