Author Topic: Horrible Squeak coming from front left wheel when driving  (Read 3739 times)

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
Hi guys, as the title says, I’ve got a HORRIBLE squeak coming from the front left wheel when driving around 30mph.

Been to the dealers 3 times and they said they can’t find anything, but for peace of mind they’ve replaced my wheel bearing (there was a hum too but they fixed that) and they also lubricated the diff but still no fix.

The sound DOES stop when I put my foot on the brake so my best guess would be that it is something to do with the disc. Won’t be the pads as the issue was happening with the original OEM pads as well as these brembo ones after I changed them. Anyone got any ideas?

Here are a couple videos https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-03QaVwfZ9TchivVTu92eWWjaF0_jpLO

thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: 25 May 2021, 17:36 by zainahmed48 »
2018 Indium Grey MK7.5 GTi (Manual), 19" Brescia

Offline GTIreland

• Not said much yet
Re: Horrible Squeak coming from front left wheel when driving
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2021, 03:58 »
Hi,

Made an account just to post this and say that I've the same thing on the Mk7 PP. Sounds like it's coming from the front right and seems to be triggered by turning left!

Looking forward to other people's experience with this.
2016 Mk7 GTI PP CSG Manual

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2021, 07:48 »
Have you tried adding a bit of lubricant to the anti-roll bar? I used to have an awful squeak from the ARB bushes.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2021, 14:34 »
Concerning because:

A. The dealer “can’t” find the cause.

and

B. They are prepared to release the car with an unknown fault, possibly in the front suspension, steering or brakes.

I’d take the car, and your story, to another dealer.

My theory on the cause would be a stone between the brake disc and the shield.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2021, 17:43 »
I have had a similar on a track car where you have a buid up of brake pad dust hardened between disc & pad,,,, It goes when brake applied as you suggest. It sounds exactly like the noise in your vodeo!

This is not a worn out is disc or pad just a slight accumulation of deposit.

To resolve, remove pads and rub glazed coating or any rough spots at edges on a pice of emery paper on a flat surface.
Remove the shine on the disc with fine emery paper by hand, it's not aggresive!

It may not be this, (diagnosis on the internet!!?!) but doesn't cost much to do, just 20 mins and a piece of emery paper.

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2021, 03:28 »
Have you tried adding a bit of lubricant to the anti-roll bar? I used to have an awful squeak from the ARB bushes.

Appreciate the reply willni, will have a look into this I think it might’ve been done by the dealers though.

I have had a similar on a track car where you have a buid up of brake pad dust hardened between disc & pad,,,, It goes when brake applied as you suggest. It sounds exactly like the noise in your vodeo!

This is not a worn out is disc or pad just a slight accumulation of deposit.

To resolve, remove pads and rub glazed coating or any rough spots at edges on a pice of emery paper on a flat surface.
Remove the shine on the disc with fine emery paper by hand, it's not aggresive!

It may not be this, (diagnosis on the internet!!?!) but doesn't cost much to do, just 20 mins and a piece of emery paper.

Thanks for this! Unfortunately gave it a go the other day but had no change at all  :undecided: didn’t hurt to try though!

Concerning because:

A. The dealer “can’t” find the cause.

and

B. They are prepared to release the car with an unknown fault, possibly in the front suspension, steering or brakes.

I’d take the car, and your story, to another dealer.

My theory on the cause would be a stone between the brake disc and the shield.

Yeah I thought it’d be a stone too. I asked dealers to look who said they couldn’t find anything but it’s on the to do list for next week as I can’t be sure that they even bothered to look  :rolleyes:

Hi,

Made an account just to post this and say that I've the same thing on the Mk7 PP. Sounds like it's coming from the front right and seems to be triggered by turning left!

Looking forward to other people's experience with this.

Do let me know if you find out what’s causing the issue on yours too!

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2021, 08:32 »
You say you gave it a go cleaning up the disc and pad, yet the dealer is looking for a stone caught between the brake shield?

You would have to remove the brake shield to access enough of the inner side of the brake disc to use an abrasive on the surface?
Just spinning the disc with pads removed would have discovered any trapped stones?

It will take some degree of disassembly.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: 14 June 2021, 08:34 by clubsport »

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2021, 12:13 »
I can't really hear anything from the video tbh, is the sound continuous? I had an intermittent squeak on my Clubsport S also from the front left particularly when going over bumps, anywhere the strut compresses basically and that was caused by the strut top mount bushes. An easy way to tell if it's a bush is by driving in the rain, bushing noises tend to go away when driving in the rain or you can spray some lubricant around them too.
Current:
2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sports Pack
2016 VW GTI Clubsport S - #250
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI
2020 Mini John Cooper Works GP - #2166

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline zainahmed48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2021, 17:23 »
Update:

Gave it a go today, disassembled it and removed the disk from the dust shield. there didn’t appear to be anything stuck there. Cleaned up any areas that had a build up of dirt with a wire brush before putting it back on.

The sound still remains :sad:

No idea what else it could be. A few of you have suggested bushes, but would it be characteristic of the sound to stop when applying the brake if bushes are causing the issue?

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2021, 20:01 »

No idea what else it could be. A few of you have suggested bushes, but would it be characteristic of the sound to stop when applying the brake if bushes are causing the issue?

With different road surfaces a bush wouldn't be surprising, crawl underneath and just spray a little lubricant onto the two front bushes and see if it helps, I'm hesitant to say WD-40 as it's against rubber hopefully someone else could chime in on that front.

Otherwise could it be a belt in the engine bay? Open the bonnet and get someone to give it a little RPM see if it comes in.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/