Author Topic: SWAPPING INTERIORS or NOT?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline yzzidog

• Not said much yet
SWAPPING INTERIORS or NOT?
« on: 13 November 2006, 14:33 »
Hi - I run a Mk1 cabby and want to put Mk2 seats at front (shd be no problemo), and at the back (OK, I'm an optimist and happy to massage the middle section). But - how difficult/how possible is it to adapt Mk2 (3dr) door cards for a Mk1 2-door? Should I even try?? If you knows how, please let me know soonest... :huh:

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: SWAPPING INTERIORS or NOT?
« Reply #1 on: 13 November 2006, 18:27 »
MK2 seats are not a direct fit, but close enough.  Basically you'll probably find the forward/back handle is on the wrong side of the MK2 seats, depending on what year the cabby is.  Post 84 I think they changed the floorpan so you can fit MK2 seats directly.
At the back, its gonna take serious effort to get MK2 seats to fit, probably almost impossible!

Dont even bother trying to get the doorcards to fit, it aint gonna happen ;)
Mk1 cards are completly flat, and MK2s stick out a fair bit!  On the plus side, this makes MK1 cards dead easy to make!

Edit: I have a set of black vinyl door cards, and possibly a full set of mk1 seats going if you're anywhere near Bracknell ;)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline yzzidog

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2006, 16:58 »
Can u tell me/show me more? I've got a Rivage with totally naffed front seats, looking for something stylish/firm for now, and a good original cabby leather interior if one comes up and isn't on the moon.  :undecided:For now, my doorcards are brill. It's just those bleedin'seats! Yeah, Bracknell's close-ish.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2006, 17:04 »
If you look under the seat at the forward/back handle, you can see where it hooks into a pin.  MK1 Golf & early cabbys have this on the opposite side to the late Cabby & MK2.  All this means is you wont be able to use the handle to move the seats forward/back, you'll have to reach under and pull the pin with your hand.

It isn't too much effort to swap the handle on the seat to the other side, or you can chop the bits off the floor pan and weld em on the other way round.

I also think you can swap MK1 seat base frames onto MK2 seats, but I haven't tried this myself yet.

What year is your cabby?

My door cards are pretty good, only problem is the fronts are slightly warped.  You could easily fix by sprayin on a bit o water and putting some weight on em.  Most important thing is there arn't any massive holes chopped in em for speakers :)  The rear cards are mint tho.
Seats are a grey/blue check pattern:
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=46507.0
« Last Edit: 14 November 2006, 17:08 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.