Author Topic: M.O.T Bad news or VERY bad news?  (Read 3475 times)

Offline golfpro

• I live here
  • If in doubt, pay someone else to do it!
Re: M.O.T Bad news or VERY bad news?
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2006, 10:19 »
and so u should. Its a lovely little thing. These things do start do wear out as they get older, dont they len  :wink: but im sure itl be fixable somehow.

thats the best mk3 ive seen..ever! its just clean and subtle.. :cool:

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2006, 14:17 »
Gem, if all it costs to get it through the MOT is £400 then dont worry about it as I know how much you love that car so just get it done. Mine needed a new petrol tank a couple of weeks ago and that cost me £440 to buy and have done (I got the filler neck done too).  :cry:

By the way, is he mistaking the tar under the car for waxoil ?  :undecided:
......now officially dubless.

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #12 on: 03 February 2006, 14:34 »
I think its the underseal he is talking about. So u think it'll be ok then?

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2006, 14:39 »
Oh yeah forgot to say I asked the guy to take some pics of the underneath so i'll post them up when I get them

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
« Reply #14 on: 03 February 2006, 14:46 »
When it's fixed it should be ok, I see no reason why not, because at the end of the day, he cant legally give it an MOT if it's a death trap. I've spent more than £400 to get cars through MOT's before today.

Saying it will cost X amount of pounds to fix means you need to be positive. Yes it has problems, but it can be fixed. When they say, "sorry love, you're cars unrepairable and you need to scrap it", that's when you need to start crying.
......now officially dubless.

Offline GemGTI

• Here all the time
  • Gemma
« Reply #15 on: 04 February 2006, 14:59 »
Here are some pics I took. Hope they help

Offside:

Pics of the new near side sill halfway through being welded on

Any opinions welcome

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2006, 23:11 »
The pictures show that there is alot of underseal on there, looks like someone wanted to cover/protect the car. The repairs look sound, you will should have a solid car when the repairs are done.
Steve.

Offline BobbyT

• I live here
  • Housemusic aint for everybody,only the sexy people
« Reply #17 on: 05 February 2006, 05:10 »
thats how mine looks!  :laugh: just had mine mot'ed in december, cost me 300 quid for some welding and to fix the sterring rack!  :grin:
BW3 2018... 7.5 Oryx White R Estate, Black mirrors and rails, Dynaudio, Rear Cam, Climate Screen, 90% tints

Offline Madone_si

• I live here
  • Seattle WA, USA and Middlesex, UK
« Reply #18 on: 05 February 2006, 11:11 »
Glad to see its getting fixed and will be back to A1 again shortly... lovely car Gemma.

Mk1's rule.  :cool:
Old Skool Mk1 Golf Gli (82), Mk1 US Cab 85 and 83
SOLD - BLACK SOY 92

Offline Phil303

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 05 February 2006, 17:33 »
Think of the money spent as an investment, rather than a loss. £400 isn't exactly loose change but having the work done will give you a pukka car that's solid, looks great and is worth £XXXX. Don't spend the cash, you've got no MOT and an unusable car with a value of £XX.

Unfortunately as we've all found out, owning a Mk1 can be an expensive experience. However, what we are actually doing is preserving an increasingly scarce bit of true motoring history and having a blast driving the thing as well.

Does your car put a silly smile on your face everytime you look at it or drive it? Do you get a funny feeling in your tummy when you catch a glimpse of your ride in a shop window as you cruise past? What price can you put on that? From the pics on here your car looks amazing and you should be very proud! Would you feel as proud (and slightly smug!) in the equivalent age XR3, Astra GTE, 205 GTI? Nah, me neither!

Think of the summer, the shows, the meets and the whole dub scene and how you're doing your bit to keep the GTI spirit alive and it's money well spent.

This may sound all philosophical and stuff but don't get down about it, we're in this together!