Author Topic: Mk3 Gt conversion, got some questions?  (Read 14407 times)

Offline dubdom

• Not said much yet
Re: Mk3 Gt conversion, got some questions?
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2009, 07:48 »
Right all engine wiring etc done, been slacking lately though as i've just started uni. Last couple of questions about fueling. Should I use all fuel pump assembly inc accumulator and big filter? Or just the fuel pump itself? Also where do I run power to for both fuel pumps? I assume it's gotta go to the relay but where do the wires go there no obvious plug or anything?

Cheers

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2009, 09:30 »
use the complete fuel pump setup from the GT, if you still have the carby fuel tank you'll need a lift pump of some kind.  I'm not 100% sure if the Polo has one or not, and if it does whether it will fit the MK1 tank?  If you have a MK1 GTI tank you can just plumb it all to the outlet on the side.

As for the wiring I recon you have the Polo GT fuel pump relay there, if so follow the wiring from that and find the output, then run it all the way back to the pump(s)
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline dubdom

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2009, 10:44 »
Sweet yup I've got all polo stuff, lift and normal pump. Lift pump is in went and got plug and all the wiring I could get put of a spi polo (same plug). And I have gotta mount the fuel pump soon, do you reckon use hole assembly Inc accumulator and massive fuel filter off polo? Or just the pump itself
?

Yeah I've got the relay it one of the ones that sits next to the ecu, couldn't find an obvious plug or anything, so just try and follow the wiring off the back of the relay, should I be looking for two red lives?

Sorry about immense amount of questions I have to think out loud before I do something.

Cheers for the help you know a hell of alot of dub stuff!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #13 on: 07 October 2009, 10:59 »
yeah use everything from under the polo, the filter is obv requirted to stop crap gettin in the engine, and the reservoir is there to prevent fuel starvation on corners :)

if you find the 2 relays you should be able to spot the pump power wire, the one you're looking for is red/yellow :)

dont confuse this with the trigger wire from the ecu, this is also red/yel.  But this one will run from the fuel relay to the ecu so you should be able to spot the difference

Offline dubdom

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2009, 09:30 »
right ive been lazy/ill lately so havent made a huge amount of progress. I have put the intank pump in and wired up earth and signal feed, and got the power in the engine bay. I have found the two yellow/red wires, i assume the fatter one is for main fuel pump, also i dont know where to splice em in. One comes out of relay and goes to a inline fuse, think its for the tank pump, im just scared of cutting it and f'in it up. Would you be able to tell me if i got a couple of pics up?

Also the only other thing (this is why its annoying me so much and im soooo nearly there) is the main fuel pump, again dont know how much to use. will normal inline small fuel filters work, as the great f'in huge polo one wont fit anywere unless i stick it righttttt at the back of the back behind spare wheel well, which i dont wanna do. Now i can just get the fuel pump and accumulator in next to the fuel tank. Im looking at some fancy inline injection ones (of a motorsport site) which i may get in the future. Which bring me onto my final question about the accumulator, theres two many pipes coming off it!!! dont know what they all do, whats inlet/outlet or whather its confusing me. again would picture help.

Cheers for help really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #15 on: 19 October 2009, 09:09 »
the red/yel wire with a fuse is for both fuel pumps :)

the other red/yel could be the ecu trigger wire for the relay, need to get pics up i think.  as long as the filter you get is designed for injection its all good.

accumulator fittings:
input from lift pump
return to lift pump
feed to main pump
return from engine bay

clicky here, if you cant see the pic signup to the site, its free :)

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/PO/1992/120/50/1253133/

Offline dubdom

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 19 October 2009, 21:30 »
Wow awesome cheers dude that link is great. So now ill be able to sort out the acumulator,

Here is the photo of the bit of loom, hope its good enough, i just dont know where to cut it, because if i dont cut the big one aswell then there is only one wire?!?!?!?

Oh yeah just remembered one other thing i got to do, the two hoses which are supposed to go to/from the expansion tank, what actually is the purpose of an expansion tank? cause i can either try and find a reducer which has a biiiiiig step down as they are quite largly different, or block em both off some how, but if i do that then i have got to find adequate plugs or something.

cheers!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #17 on: 20 October 2009, 11:03 »
the header tank is there for a little extra cooling capacity, and to allow the system to self-bleed.  the 3 large hoses are for the heater matrix and the bottom of the header tank, the thin hose to the top of the tank is the one sat on the brake reservoir in one of your piccies. this should help:
http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/PO/1992/120/49/1251795/

the output to the fuel pump is most probably on that 3 pin plug, the thing you have in your hand is the fuel pump fuse. it goes relay -> fuse -> pump :)
« Last Edit: 20 October 2009, 11:05 by rubjonny »

Offline dubdom

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 20 October 2009, 13:05 »
Cool, what do you reckon the 3rd wire is for on the plug?

Yep I get what all the hoses are I just don't want to use an expansion tank so what would I do with them? Block em of join em or isit essential? If so I Gotta buy another rad?

Cheers

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #19 on: 20 October 2009, 14:32 »
ah ok I see. blocking them off is fine but you still need a filler cap from somewhere. early MK1 1.3 rad is what you want, comes with a filler cap on the side. alternatively i think you can purchase inline caps that splice into the upper rad hose