Author Topic: Carbon cleaning + injectors and installing a oil catch can.  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Hazimaro

• Not said much yet
Hello!

So I long story short as one person stated on this form “polishing a turd”. I decided to stick with a golf gti mk6 (46k) on the clock. It had major issues, I bit the bullet decided to repair. I was thinking if I’m going through the motions and effort of keeping the car for the long long run.

After I have the tensioner kit revised, should I get it carbon cleaned and then install a oil catch can. I heard the oil catch can to the engine can help ease that carbon build?

What’s peoples thoughts on this.

Offline ramrod

• Here all the time
Re: Carbon cleaning + injectors and installing a oil catch can.
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2021, 16:24 »
Hello!

So I long story short as one person stated on this form “polishing a turd”.

whats the backstory to polishing a turd?

my car had new injectors and carbon cleaning at 75k and that seemed overdue, if youre keeping the car then 100% do it, no idea on the catch can but im sure someone else will be able to help
Mk6 Gti - current daily
Mk3 16v Anni - retired daily now parked on 200,300 miles

Offline Hazimaro

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2021, 16:45 »
Hello!

So I long story short as one person stated on this form “polishing a turd”.

whats the backstory to polishing a turd?

my car had new injectors and carbon cleaning at 75k and that seemed overdue, if youre keeping the car then 100% do it, no idea on the catch can but im sure someone else will be able to help

Basically I made a mistake but we learn, I purchased a import mk6 gti no service history cat D. I payed a little to much, however the car did not look bad in the photos. It all went down hill from there, got the body work up to standard. Then the mech unit goes, it needed a replacement and refurb was out of choice. The mech unit was 2880£ from dealer, the only place you can get it from. I ended up using a local garage who go it a few hundred pounds cheaper for 2500. I even called up TPS and they said 2730 as a special order.

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2021, 18:39 »
From what I've seen the intake manifold is a pain to remove. It's also a part that's very prone to failure on Mk6s. Unless the carbon build up is causing you problems right now it might be worth it to wait until that goes wrong (P2015 code usually) then get a new manifold and clean the valves in one go. Or maybe nip it in the bud with an updated manifold now. Just seems if you're paying for the labour you might pay twice to have your intake manifold removed.
2010 Mk6 GTI

Offline Hazimaro

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2021, 14:12 »
From what I've seen the intake manifold is a pain to remove. It's also a part that's very prone to failure on Mk6s. Unless the carbon build up is causing you problems right now it might be worth it to wait until that goes wrong (P2015 code usually) then get a new manifold and clean the valves in one go. Or maybe nip it in the bud with an updated manifold now. Just seems if you're paying for the labour you might pay twice to have your intake manifold removed.

Yh this makes allot more sense, no issues right now.