Author Topic: Interior lights and footwell lights not working!  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Danielson32

• Just got here
Interior lights and footwell lights not working!
« on: 21 October 2020, 13:03 »
Hi guys, I’ve just bought a MK6 and noticed that the interior lights and also the footwell lights are not coming on when the car is unlocked/opening the doors.. If I operate the interior light switch the interior lights do come on 🤔 The switch is set to the middle, so is in the correct position. I haven’t had a chance to look at it in daylight yet and won’t have a chance until Friday. I will start with checking the fuses, but it seems unlikely it’s a fuse as like I’ve already said, the interior lights work if you toggle the switch 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’d really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions and could quite literally ‘shed some light on this’

Thanks, Dan.

Offline Danielson32

• Just got here
Re: Interior lights and footwell lights not working!
« Reply #1 on: 21 October 2020, 18:50 »
To add to this..

I’ve noticed the glove box light and also the ‘you’ve left the lights on buzzer’ aren’t working either 🤔

The vanity mirror lights are working, and also the cigarette lighter illumination.

I’ve searched google extensively and haven’t managed to find anything. Heeeeeeelp please 😊

« Last Edit: 21 October 2020, 18:51 by Danielson32 »

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2020, 10:09 »
Never had this problem but I do know the light unit in the roof the circuit board is known to fail. You could try a search on the net for this to see what the symptoms of this are and see id its the same as you are experiencing
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2020, 11:46 »
Did a quick search found similar.
Worth checking, circuit board on the interior light burns out. Remove it you will see if it burnt.
Its £66.50 for the replacement unit from VW
Or I did read you can buy the boad from somewere for £28 and build the unit backup but ive lost that link and jow can't find it. Doh..
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Danielson32

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2020, 12:15 »
Hi Snoopy, thanks for the reply. I had also read that whilst searching. I will start by checking there, I guess it could be burnt out on the door open function only, which might explain why it still works when you switch it to the on position. From what I read it looks like the earlier 3 light units were the ones that failed, my car has the 2 dome light unit.

Won’t know until I take it apart and check I guess.

Thanks again,

Dan.

Offline Danielson32

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2020, 16:17 »
I’ve found the culprit. It is the switch, and it’s fair to say it’s definitely burnt out,

New one ordered through TPS and will be ready to collect tomorrow. £67 🤪

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2020, 20:32 »
It seems from reading about this it is quite common sadly.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Danielson32

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2020, 15:21 »
New unit fitted today. Extremely satisfying 🤓

Offline Bill W

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2021, 22:23 »
Hey Dan,

I’ve had this same issue for 5yrs! I do get footwell illumination but not overhead when doors open in what should be ‘auto-on’ switch setting. Started off temperamental, switch felt a bit ‘crunchy’, now overheads only come on when switch manually pressed on

Have you got the part number by any chance or a copy of the TPS invoice so I might order same?

Btw, how do I get the switch out to check it is in deed the board that’s gone?

Thanks in advance

Offline Borbus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2021, 14:01 »
Was the glovebox light actually affected by this? That lights seems to be on constantly, even when the glovebox is closed, in all golfs so might just be burnt out. Don't replace it with an LED because the LED will almost certainly burn out due to being lit continuously for hours at a time.
2010 Mk6 GTI