Author Topic: Noise/video  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Marjon99utd

• Not said much yet
Noise/video
« on: 10 September 2020, 14:59 »
Any ideas what might be causing this squeal noise?

https://youtu.be/JsKB8rhacV0

Had new break pads on service and i think noise started since then but been working from home so didnt use the car that much...needed new discs which we replaced last week but still happening. Only happening passenger front side

Noise only happens in one/same place when i spin round like in the video, tyre goes back around and no noise until it gets to the same point and then makes the noise

Maybe dodgy pad?
but why making the noise at one point and not all the way around???

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: Noise/video
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2020, 16:20 »
Guesses.
..Disc not 100% true. You can get this on cheap discs had it few times with ecp ones. Or not total flush on hub.
...Rust on inner and outer edges of discs catching. File it down in location of noise if you can feel a ridge. Its often inner side nearest hub.
...Your caliper maybe slightly sticking.

Did you replace pads when you replaced the discs they maybe worn at an angle too not helping matters.
You could try the old method to of take the pads out. Rub them on a curb to take the glase off the surface and refit and see if the noise stops.
If it was squeal while driving i would have said brake lube were the pads sit and were the back of pads contact the calipers but this looks more like disc contact.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2020, 16:36 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Marjon99utd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2020, 16:52 »
Pads were changed before disc but didnt drive much inbetween and noise happend before new disc were put on

The squeal happens when im driving but at really slow speeds, mainley when i reverse....

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2020, 21:50 »
All you can do is a process of fault finding.
if you are getting resistance when turning the wheel were the noise is its got to be something there.
Brake disc high spot or pad high spot or catching back plate or even a gearbox/shaft/cv issue at that point in rotation.
All you can do is rule each out at a time.
For example remove a pad but put it all back together and try turning it.
Remove one possible cause at a time until it stops.
Only way to figure that out.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2020, 21:54 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Marjon99utd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2020, 21:26 »
Thanks for replies but f**ked it off and bought a new car instead haha