Author Topic: New mk6 GTi owner. Rear light question  (Read 1703 times)

Offline NZ_GTi

• Just got here
New mk6 GTi owner. Rear light question
« on: 13 August 2020, 11:38 »
Its been about 7 years since I used VW forums - and the one I used to use back then seems to have disappeared haha

I got the itch for another GTi recently and found a nice low milage, 2013 mk6.

Its fantastic! I'm really pleased with it overall and cant fault it, apart from...

A strange issue with the tail lights.

The inner side lights turn off (the ones on the boot) after a few seconds of shutting the boot. (if you open the boot and close it, they will come back on when it closes, but then turn off again a few moments later)

This then displays a "bulb warning light" on the dash.

If I unlock the car in the night time, with the lights set to auto, then the same thing will happen.
i.e they come on automatically, but then turn off a few seconds later.

I was thinking the boot latch possibly - but it seems such a specific problem that someone will hopefully have experienced it before.

any ideas?

Cheers,

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: New mk6 GTi owner. Rear light question
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2020, 13:32 »
Prob best to get it scanned by VCDS vagcom or one of the other tools out there to see what fault codes are coming up. Im thinking the computer is shutting down power to them as it thinks there is a short circuit. Maybe as the computer turns off the lights when boot opens then back on when shuts its resetting,  then seeing a short circuit so then turning them off again and logging a bulb out error. Just a thought.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline NZ_GTi

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2020, 22:43 »
Thanks mate. I had it scanned and the only code was for the bulb warning light itself.

That was just a guy with an App and a bluetooth port, I'll get it booked in for someone to take a proper look on VAGCOM but thought a forum post might be worth a shot.

I did a bunch of online searching and only found one post from 5 years ago on a forum. Someone had the exact same problem but no-one replied, and the OP didnt come back to mention any solution haha

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2020, 12:06 »
If thats the only fault it thinks theres a short or open circuit. You would be best to get an auto electrician to have a look at the lights to check the resistance of each set to compare them and maybe test them on a bench. Then work from there forwards.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2020, 12:43 »
The inner lights are supposed to turn off when the tailgate is opened, so it could be the the lock module at fault. If the car thinks the tailgate is open, it won't turn those lights on.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline NZ_GTi

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2020, 01:47 »
Thanks guys - yea I think I'll have to send it to the shop for this one. Theres nothing obvious I can see to cause this.

I had considered the car "thinking" that the tailgate was open, but the screen in the car shows it open / closed correctly and the lights do turn on when you close it (but only for a set ammount of time - as if they are on a timer)

Cheers