Author Topic: Watch out. ACC (Adaptive Chassis Control) is £705 extra  (Read 12480 times)

Offline gossa

• I live here
Re: Watch out. ACC (Adaptive Chassis Control) is £705 extra
« Reply #10 on: 08 July 2009, 07:33 »
Just bought a MKVI without it, px'd a Scirocco with it.

It's definitely a good bit of kit and does what it says on the tin but I opted without it and don't miss it all all.  The standard ride is great on the road, slightly choppy around town on the 18"'s.

For Rolfe with her mum and matey doing track days then yes get it, it works. For me and most others, I wouldn't bother.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #11 on: 08 July 2009, 17:34 »
...but worth it.

Normal is much the same as the mk5.

But on a rainy Monday morning on the way to work...
Or on a summer day on the B roads..
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #12 on: 13 July 2009, 08:43 »
I also think its worth it if you live in london. The roads here are so poor and large speed bumps so commonplace that the comfort mode would be welcome.

Couple that with 18inch wheels and it becomes very desirable indeed.

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 13 July 2009, 08:56 »
I was just wondering whether the ACC affects the speed of the car in its various modes? On another matter, I was reading the other day, the bigger the rims, the less speed you get but better control? Is this true?
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 13 July 2009, 11:43 »
I was just wondering whether the ACC affects the speed of the car in its various modes? On another matter, I was reading the other day, the bigger the rims, the less speed you get but better control? Is this true?

I don't think ACC will affect the actual speed of the car, just the respsonses.
The bigger the rims the more the unsprung weight, so yes it will slightly affect speed and acceleration. If you look at the car Russ Swift used on the forum day it had 17s on for better control and the others had 18s on for looks. Plus there was the infamous EVO magazine tyre test where they said the car was faster around the track with 17s on. So there's an answer for you.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 13 July 2009, 13:55 »
oooow... thanks for the responses... hmmm I had asked the dealer about it too before i made the order. He said most people would opt for the 18s as they offer more control and allows the car to be more stable at higher speeds. I said I would prefer to have the 17s and he replied, thats why it was good I chose the car with the ACC for comfort... From what you are telling me the 17s are the best sized rims... as it offers both speed and control... sob sob sob

If the 18s are only for looks... sigh... too late...

HM
« Last Edit: 13 July 2009, 14:06 by howlingmoon »

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 13 July 2009, 14:03 »
I was looking at videos of the car in motion.  While I can tell the shadow wheels quite easily when the car is stationary, I absolutely can't when it is moving.

In another thread, a poster incorrectly identified the 18s as 17s in a picture of a stationary car.

If it's only for looks (and I was certainly informed by the delaer that the 17s offer a smoother ride), then it doesn't seem a lot for £415.

Of course there are two differences - the shadow trim, and the size.  I wonder how much extra the shadow trims would have been on 17" wheels?

Rolfe.

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2009, 14:13 »
Of course there are two differences - the shadow trim, and the size.  I wonder how much extra the shadow trims would have been on 17" wheels?

Rolfe.

If I am not mistaken on the 18s, the trim is painted black whereas the 17s are grey. Size wise the tyres are thinner compared to the 17s. Yup, smoother ride is better with the 17s. But my dealer said one would go faster and have greater control if you had 18s... so as a guy, I was sold at that point... ha ha ha... Am only regretting now that I am hearing that the 17s gives you the speed and control.

HM

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2009, 14:23 »
the difference on speed and control between the 18s and 17s will be minimal i doubt that you'll be able to notice it.  yet the difference visually between the 18s and 17s is massive in my opinion - the 18s are a must have!!
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #19 on: 13 July 2009, 14:31 »
But thats not what Exonian quoted EVO magazine which says that the 17s were faster on the track....

Exonian: How much faster did the EVO mag say it was for the 17s compared to the 18s? If it were only by 0.01 seconds... Then I think the point is moot!.  :drool: