Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785074 times)

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13370 on: 05 March 2024, 13:27 »
Removing the steering wheel is easy 5/10 mins to remove, removing the trim from the steering wheel is the harder bit think it took my 30 mins last time I did it.

Personally if I were to do it again I'd just send my wheel and do without a car, the other wheel I got didn't align with the centring marker so it sits skew and a wheel alignment hasn't fixed it...
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #13371 on: 05 March 2024, 15:52 »
That bit about the replacement wheel not aligning is a bit alarming!
Has anyone else had this problem??
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #13372 on: 05 March 2024, 16:14 »
Will all Mk7 GTI wheels not be made to the same spec?
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13373 on: 05 March 2024, 17:40 »
They're all the same spec and all fit, but when they fit the wheel and factory they mark the steering wheel alignment with a pin mark on the column and wheel. It says more about my last wheel alignment more than anything.

But it's completely avoidable by just sending it and getting your own wheel done, just something to consider.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline gixerste

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13374 on: 05 March 2024, 17:41 »
I would do the postal exchange option and use a local indie garage to do the work.
How easy is the drop and how long should it take to carry out? Is there anything I can say to reassure a “nervous” mechanic?
[/quote]

It took me about 35-40 min, but allow yourself about an hour. I watched a few videos on You tube, some of which showed you what not top do !! lol. Get yourself some plastic trim removal tools, take your time and it's not too bad to do. One thing I did do, that wasn't on any of the videos was to spray a small amount of silicone spray on the fixing lugs of the plastic silver surround before I started prizing it off.   I've just seen the reply about the marks to line the wheel up.
The line, to line the steering wheel up on the steering wheel coulomb, was identical on my old wheel and the one I had refurbished.
This is the wheel I had refurbished, if you look at the hole at the top at the 12 o'clock position you can see a line that is put on during manufacturer , this is what you line up with the line on your steering coulomb to get your wheel in the right position   :smiley:

« Last Edit: 05 March 2024, 18:01 by gixerste »
Indium grey D.S.G. Mk7.5GTI pp

Offline gixerste

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13375 on: 05 March 2024, 18:24 »
Would love to have a garage with a car lift like that in it  :smiley:

Indium grey D.S.G. Mk7.5GTI pp

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #13376 on: 05 March 2024, 18:45 »

Cracked front spring in a nasty pothole this morning on commute to work. There was some bang. On closer inspection, both front shocks are slightly misting so will get both front shocks, springs and top mounts done. Will just stay with VW parts I think. How much roughly we thinking for this job parts only ? Can do job myself.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline madstaff

• I live here
« Reply #13377 on: 05 March 2024, 19:18 »

Cracked front spring in a nasty pothole this morning on commute to work. There was some bang. On closer inspection, both front shocks are slightly misting so will get both front shocks, springs and top mounts done. Will just stay with VW parts I think. How much roughly we thinking for this job parts only ? Can do job myself.

My guess is that's about £600 in parts
£300 × 2 dampers
£200 × 2 springs
£100 x 2 top mounts + bearings.

Soon mounts up.
2017 Clubsport Edition 40 #706.

Urano grey, 3 Door, Manual, Recaros, Brescias, DCC, Nav Pro, Black roof & tints.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #13378 on: 05 March 2024, 19:37 »

My guess is that's about £600 in parts
£300 × 2 dampers
£200 × 2 springs
£100 x 2 top mounts + bearings.

Soon mounts up.
Wow so that’s going to be close to €1000 here in Ireland with our inflated prices. Thanks for that. I assume bearings come as part of the top mounts ?
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13379 on: 05 March 2024, 19:40 »
@Carbon VW why not go for the Bilstein OEMs? B6's? I believe, should be a like for like part.