Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2784992 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13350 on: 27 February 2024, 19:38 »
Looks lovely in the photos there Watts!  :laugh: :whistle:

I can imagine how much pleasure you’re now getting from looking at the freshly cleaned car.
The wheel finish on the Reifnitz does make brake dust and fallout hard to remove, when I had my TCR I was debating whether to get the wheels coated then lacquered just to make them easier to maintain.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13351 on: 27 February 2024, 19:47 »
Looks lovely in the photos there Watts!  :laugh: :whistle:

I can imagine how much pleasure you’re now getting from looking at the freshly cleaned car.
The wheel finish on the Reifnitz does make brake dust and fallout hard to remove, when I had my TCR I was debating whether to get the wheels coated then lacquered just to make them easier to maintain.

I didn't want to embarrass myself after seeing willni's pictures!

They apparently cleaned them three times before giving up, can't say I blame them.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13352 on: 27 February 2024, 20:48 »
You can only do so much before calling it a day, especially when the brake dust sits on the alloy for long periods letting it ingrain. The finish doesn't lend itself to it either as if they attempted to use acid on them you'd probably have white alloys by the end of it!

But it's fixable and relatively cheap to do so, so I wouldn't worry about it!
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13353 on: 27 February 2024, 20:53 »
You can only do so much before calling it a day, especially when the brake dust sits on the alloy for long periods letting it ingrain. The finish doesn't lend itself to it either as if they attempted to use acid on them you'd probably have white alloys by the end of it!

But it's fixable and relatively cheap to do so, so I wouldn't worry about it!

They did say they didn't want to use anything too strong for exactly that reason. Is there a remedy other than a refurb?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #13354 on: 27 February 2024, 21:02 »
Depends what they tried on them? I've had good results with Bilt Hamber Korrosol on very heavy baked on brake dust on an Evo before, took about 4-5 applications. Can't remember if I did use a bit of wheel acid on them in the end though, don't believe so though.

Alternatively, you could use wire wool. Obviously it will scratch the finish to an extent, but can be an improvement over the brake dust look.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13355 on: 27 February 2024, 22:23 »
Depends what they tried on them? I've had good results with Bilt Hamber Korrosol on very heavy baked on brake dust on an Evo before, took about 4-5 applications. Can't remember if I did use a bit of wheel acid on them in the end though, don't believe so though.

Alternatively, you could use wire wool. Obviously it will scratch the finish to an extent, but can be an improvement over the brake dust look.

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline rowlers

• I live here
  • I'm back - MK7 GTI
« Reply #13356 on: 28 February 2024, 14:08 »
Full clean in and out. OMG, so so much tar... got 90% off but needs a real deep decontamination, once the weather picks up a little.

(Also attempted to fit my Res delete, but unfortunately my jack doesn't go high enough to make the job doable. Ar$e...

Offline gixerste

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13357 on: 02 March 2024, 13:40 »
Fitted new NGK plugs from Awesome GTi and a set of VAG Sport Red High-Discharge Performance Ignition Coils  :smiley: 
Indium grey D.S.G. Mk7.5GTI pp

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13358 on: 03 March 2024, 16:54 »
4x new tyres fitted (Goodyear Asymmetric 3s) and swapped tobyhe TCR centre caps  :smiley:

2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline gixerste

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13359 on: 03 March 2024, 18:54 »

Fitted my refurbished steering wheel, 2mm thicker, nappa leather top and bottom with perforated leather on the sides  :smiley:
Indium grey D.S.G. Mk7.5GTI pp