Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2785013 times)

Offline sjw

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #13280 on: 19 January 2024, 14:27 »
Found out I clearly don't have a high enough concentration of washer fluid as my headlight washers had extended this morning presumably due to frozen washer fluid expanding in the pipes!

At least that gave it somewhere to go, I guess! Better than bursting out of pipes

Offline LSBristol

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13281 on: 19 January 2024, 14:30 »
Found out I clearly don't have a high enough concentration of washer fluid as my headlight washers had extended this morning presumably due to frozen washer fluid expanding in the pipes!

At least that gave it somewhere to go, I guess! Better than bursting out of pipes

I did look nervously under the car as I filled it up in case something had split...!
mk7.5 non-PP, Indium Grey, manual

TCR backbox
Bola B16 19" in crystal sylver
DTUK pedalbox+

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13282 on: 19 January 2024, 18:26 »
Mine went in for a minor service yesterday with brake fluid changed. Car getting close to five years old and 40k miles. I think I'll treat it to a sunroof service soon and a four wheel alignment. More worringly in the same period, it has had two services more than washes...

Anyway, while waiting at the dealership I had a good look around all the showroom cars, the fullest it has been for a very long time. Most models there including the electric ones. Not even heard of an ID7 before. The one takeaway from my browse was just how boring and cheap looking all the interiors were. Some cars you could see the long bolts for the seat adjusters! The only two that stood out from the mediocrity (and still not great) were the GTI CS and a new R. The seats in the CS were quite smart, a variety of colours and materials that really lifted the interior. According to the information with the car, it was vienna leather. Looked and felt more man made to me. My old Audi (2003 A4) had proper leather, looked, felt and smelt like it, not like these, cheap and nasty. So I think the TCR will be around a bit longer. Must get it washed though...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13283 on: 19 January 2024, 18:38 »
Mine went in for a minor service yesterday with brake fluid changed. Car getting close to five years old and 40k miles. I think I'll treat it to a sunroof service soon and a four wheel alignment. More worringly in the same period, it has had two services more than washes...

Anyway, while waiting at the dealership I had a good look around all the showroom cars, the fullest it has been for a very long time. Most models there including the electric ones. Not even heard of an ID7 before. The one takeaway from my browse was just how boring and cheap looking all the interiors were. Some cars you could see the long bolts for the seat adjusters! The only two that stood out from the mediocrity (and still not great) were the GTI CS and a new R. The seats in the CS were quite smart, a variety of colours and materials that really lifted the interior. According to the information with the car, it was vienna leather. Looked and felt more man made to me. My old Audi (2003 A4) had proper leather, looked, felt and smelt like it, not like these, cheap and nasty. So I think the TCR will be around a bit longer. Must get it washed though...

You didn’t fancy letting the dealer do their free scratch n swirl treatment on your car then :whistle: :grin:.

I’m with you on the latest VW’s - very few have any appeal to me. If I was considering changing my car (I’m not) then I think I’d be looking at non-VW’s. 
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13284 on: 19 January 2024, 18:46 »
You didn’t fancy letting the dealer do their free scratch n swirl treatment on your car then :whistle: :grin:.

I’m with you on the latest VW’s - very few have any appeal to me. If I was considering changing my car (I’m not) then I think I’d be looking at non-VW’s.

I did reject their offer for a wash! I also pointed out that given how dirty my car was, it'd be easy to spot and damage they might inflict as it would leave a clean patch....

Not sure my pocket has another newish car in it any more, they are just too expensive. Thinking about retirement this year too so I will need to cut back a bit.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13285 on: 19 January 2024, 21:03 »
Out of interest Watts, did the dealer mention in the service report how much meat was left on your brakes?
Be careful getting wheel alignment on the TCR to ensure the workshop has the correct geometry settings for the car as they run negative camber.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #13286 on: 19 January 2024, 21:20 »
Out of interest Watts, did the dealer mention in the service report how much meat was left on your brakes?
Be careful getting wheel alignment on the TCR to ensure the workshop has the correct geometry settings for the car as they run negative camber.

Good tip, thanks for that. Brakes weren't mentioned, only tyres which I should apparently consider replacing. With 4.5mm left...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline EB2019

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13287 on: 20 January 2024, 06:37 »

Is it only the TCR that can be set up with negative camber?  Do you know what might be different in the front to allow for this compared to the GTi PP 2019?  I know the CS has the different hubs but didn't know the TCR ran a different setting.  Will be looking to get an alignment possibly this year when i switch back to summer wheels/tyres.

Offline jh_97

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13288 on: 20 January 2024, 19:19 »
Fitted the rear lower wishbone covers from the Mk8 as per golfdave's post on the Mk7 Forum. Will be interesting to see what effect they have
2018 GTI PP DSG, Pure White, graphite Sevilles, Art Velours

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13289 on: 20 January 2024, 22:11 »

Good tip, thanks for that. Brakes weren't mentioned, only tyres which I should apparently consider replacing. With 4.5mm left...

You can’t beat a bit of upselling where they only have a customers best interests at heart!  :rolleyes: :grin:

Is it only the TCR that can be set up with negative camber?  Do you know what might be different in the front to allow for this compared to the GTi PP 2019?  I know the CS has the different hubs but didn't know the TCR ran a different setting.  Will be looking to get an alignment possibly this year when i switch back to summer wheels/tyres.

Only the TCR’s fitted with the optional upgrade packs which featured 19” wheels, DCC, lowered springs and speed delimiter had the negative camber. The latter didn’t really feature in the press blurb but that’s not exactly unusual as the guys with media degrees seem to have no idea what the guys with engineering degrees are talking about so just pick random things off the spec sheet to put in the press releases.  :rolleyes:
The fact that the option pack cars had negative camber was thus reported elsewhere, possibly at model launches where they have actual engineers at hand not just media f**kwits, but exactly what they fitted differently to these cars compared to non option pack cars and other GTI’s I don’t know I’m afraid.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner